Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC Help - Screen Brightness Very Low After Boot.

Options
  • 02-08-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I have recently been having an issue with my pc, when it boots up the display brightness is very low and you can't really see it, I have to adjust it myself. I have a second monitor connected to my laptop and the brightness is fine after boot on that. It is a HP laptop running Windows 10. Anyone know a solution to this. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

SW98 wrote: »
    Hi, I have recently been having an issue with my pc, when it boots up the display brightness is very low and you can't really see it, I have to adjust it myself. I have a second monitor connected to my laptop and the brightness is fine after boot on that. It is a HP laptop running Windows 10. Anyone know a solution to this. Thanks for any replies.
    Would it be adaptive brightness in the Power or Graphics Card settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Would it be adaptive brightness in the Power or Graphics Card settings?

Where do I get graphics card settings on Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Where do I get graphics card settings on Windows 10.
    On my laptop, there's a brightness setting in the "Action Center".

If I type bright into the Search box, I get options for "Adjust SCreen Brightness" and "Turn auto brightness on or off" .

Bayberry wrote: »
    On my laptop, there's a brightness setting in the "Action Center".

If I type bright into the Search box, I get options for "Adjust SCreen Brightness" and "Turn auto brightness on or off" .

Yeah I do that but can't seem to find where you turn auto brightness on/off.

Yeah I do that but can't seem to find where you turn auto brightness on/off.
    If there isn't an "Adjust my screen brightness automatically" toggle at the bottom of the System/Display settings panel, then your laptop doesn't have an automatic brightness sensor.

The option shows up in the search, but it isn't displayed when you open the panel.

• Advertisement

Bayberry wrote: »
    If there isn't an "Adjust my screen brightness automatically" toggle at the bottom of the System/Display settings panel, then your laptop doesn't have an automatic brightness sensor.

The option shows up in the search, but it isn't displayed when you open the panel.

Yeah obviously doesn't have it then. But it's very annoying, when I turn on my laptop my second monitor works fine but the laptop screen is very dim, I have to look very closely and put the brightness to 0%. I don't know why it's the wrong way around, but it's annoying when I have to do it every time I boot the laptop.

Yeah obviously doesn't have it then. But it's very annoying, when I turn on my laptop my second monitor works fine but the laptop screen is very dim, I have to look very closely and put the brightness to 0%. I don't know why it's the wrong way around, but it's annoying when I have to do it every time I boot the laptop.
    Usually on a laptop, you can use the function keys to change the brightness. My guess is that there's some driver left over from your earlier OS that's remembers what it was set to before, and doesn't know that Windows itself has turned the brightness up, so when you restart, it sets it back to what it thinks you had before. So try to use the function keys to increase the brightness, and see if it remembers the new setting that way, and then decide whether you just want to get right of whatever "hotkeys" driver is doing this, and just rely on the native Win10 settings.

Advertisement