Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler Helmet

Options
  • 01-08-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Not sure if you know of the emerging trend of helmets for toddlers? Where do you stand on this trend. I swing from it being downright ridiculous to seeing my baby bang it's head for the 10th time in an hour and thinking it's essential.

What do you think?

ww

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

A toddler helmet? First I ever heard of one
    But then again my 11 month old has banged his head so many times on the floor I'm beginning to get worried about repetitive injury.

He's fallen back many a time from sitting onto the tiles in kitchen.
    He is crawling around for past 2 months he fell on his face yesterday cut his lip
    Every day there's a fall a bang or something.
    He's real accident prone. Poor chap.

Would toddlers leave on a helmet.
    Most babies hate anything near their heads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

The thought has definitely crossed my mind from time to time but you'd have the additional worry of strangulation from the helmet strap getting caught in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 woodenwonder

Think they leave helmet on permanently. In balance I think not having one is best?! Chance my mind all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

It's a bubble wrap suit my lad would need, not a helmet. Ended up in Temple St. A&E with him AGAIN yesterday - he tipped a hot cup of coffee all over himself :( Thankfully he's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would have imagined that a child would never learn how to protect their head in a fall if they never experienced any negative effects of falling? Our little one is 1 and has had 3 or 4 bangs to the head, and even now when she falls she will tense her shoulders and try to stop her head connecting with the floor. I would guess if she wore a helmet all the time she probably would never learn to do this which could lead to even more serious accidents when the time came to take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

ShaShaBear wrote:
    I would have imagined that a child would never learn how to protect their head in a fall if they never experienced any negative effects of falling? Our little one is 1 and has had 3 or 4 bangs to the head, and even now when she falls she will tense her shoulders and try to stop her head connecting with the floor. I would guess if she wore a helmet all the time she probably would never learn to do this which could lead to even more serious accidents when the time came to take it off.

I agree, the best way for babies to learn is from experience. I have 2 mentallers who could have done with helmets but I've managed to get one to teenagedom relatively unscathed.. One minor scar.
    The other, I think, I would need full body armour for him, but he manages to bounce fairly well and doesn't seem to mind when he falls over and leaves half his knee behind. The other 2 are more careful. The baby banged her head once off the floor when she was learning to sit up, she twisted and missed the v shaped cushion that was practically all around her.. Watching her now, she's become very careful about moving about..
    I think they have to hurt themselves as a way of learning to be more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Just no.

Where does it end? Keep them in a padded suit all day? Make them wear a helmet until they're 18?

Children are robust, as a species we've evolved to be that way. Small kids learn from bumps and bangs how to avoid them in the future. While they're not to be encouraged we can't wrap them in cotton wool to mitigate against the remote possibility of a tragic accident.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Absolutely not.

Your child will miss out on the really important development step of learning to fall while protecting their head. As your child gets older, weighs more and will be a position to fall from high places, the need to know how to fall correctly is more important.

This whole wrapping your kids is cotton wool is not only detrimental your child but to society. We already have a generation of adults who cannot fend or think for themselves.

I could go one forever about why rubber matting was created by the devil.

Children need to learn if they fall over the world will not end, they will survive.

rant over / :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've seen the helmets in Tony Kealys and to be honest just laughed at the thoughts of one. My kids aren't particularly accident prone but can't imagine having them wear something like this all day!
    I also agree that they won't learn to be more careful or how to protect themselves if they're never exposed to falling etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Thudguard-Baby-Safety-Helmet-Blue/dp/B001OWCOTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I only ever knew one person who used one of these but to be fair her child had epilepsy so it was actually warranted!!! For any healthy child it's definitely madness and no good for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Treadhead wrote: »
    Just no.

Where does it end? Keep them in a padded suit all day? Make them wear a helmet until they're 18?

LOL: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/qcNYHfELGb4/maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement