Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stihl 044 repair

Options
  • 01-08-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all.
    My 044 packed up, so I took it apart to find the problem. The small bearing on the top of the crankshaft broke and sent shards of metal up along the piston. In short i need a new piston new crankshaft and all the other bits and pieces to put it back together. My local stihl dealer wanted the best part of the price of a new saw for the parts alone so stihl parts are not an option. Any ideas for quality aftermarket parts. Do you know of a small engine repair shop that will swap out the crankshaft for a reasonable price? One repair shop wanted €110 just to do that much.
    Any ideas or advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Whereabouts are you based? By the time you buy a barrel, piston, crank, bearings and possibly a con rod, plus crank seals and gaskets, you are half way to a new saw, plus labour.
    Either do the build yourself, saving the labour element, or look for a good secondhand 440.
    Had you big hours on the saw, or was there a fuelling problem to make the bearings break up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 martink281

I am in kildare. I know that repairs are expensive if you go through a dealer so I am looking for other options on the repairs. Aftermarket parts are much cheaper if you can get good quality ones. I will probably pick some up online. I have never split a case before to replace a crankshaft so some assistance here would be good. As for your question about the fuel, I don't know the tank was half full when I started working the saw. So there had to be oil in the mix. The saw was over 10 years old it was one of the later models of the 044 before the change to 440. used on a farm to tidy up tree fall so not overused.

PS not ready to send it to the scrap heap yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

martink281 wrote: »
    I am in kildare. I know that repairs are expensive if you go through a dealer so I am looking for other options on the repairs. Aftermarket parts are much cheaper if you can get good quality ones. I will probably pick some up online. I have never split a case before to replace a crankshaft so some assistance here would be good. As for your question about the fuel, I don't know the tank was half full when I started working the saw. So there had to be oil in the mix. The saw was over 10 years old it was one of the later models of the 044 before the change to 440. used on a farm to tidy up tree fall so not overused.

You can pick up after market parts for sure but some of them aren't great either. Have you tried going in ebay Germany and finding genuine parts.
    To save on cost you might need to repair it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

martink281 wrote:

martink281 wrote:

Get parts on ebay and repair yourself or it would be better to get a new saw when you add in the labour costs

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Same problem with my Stihl 181 which was only 2 years old. I bought the replacement engine parts from a UK Ebayer cost €73 delivered via Parcel Motel. Got a local small engine repair man to fit it. Saw starts on first pull and so far so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 martink281

Thanks for that. I have looked on eBay and I can get the parts. Just need someone with a bit of experience to split the crankcase and put in crankshaft and seal it back up. The rest I can do.

Advertisement