Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddling technique

Options
  • 01-08-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I went kayaking with an experienced person yesterday. I wouldn't be that good. I found that when I paddle to kayak would drift to the right, I was paddling on my left side.

Is my stroke too long or what or what is the error I made? From a boat behind me someone said that I looked like I was paddling very lazy compared to the experienced paddler with me. I was sweating mad and trying to paddle as hard as I can. Obviously an experienced paddler who races would be alot stronger than someone like me who only kayaked 3 times ever.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

It will take a while to get the technique. What were you paddling? it has a great effect on the position and direction of the boat.

Also once you get in on it you push with your legs and use a lot of your back muscles latts rhomboid's obliques.andof course your core As opposed to your arms as a lot of people think that is all that is used.

If you have only been paddling 3 times you can be excused as to your technique.

It will come with the more paddling you do.
    Also if you are really into improving there are individuals who offer stroke technique coaching
    By getting it right from beginning you won't burn yourself out as much.

What part of your body was sore after the paddle? Your arms?
    Lower back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

monflat wrote: »
    It will take a while to get the technique. What were you paddling? it has a great effect on the position and direction of the boat.

Also once you get in on it you push with your legs and use a lot of your back muscles latts rhomboid's obliques.andof course your core As opposed to your arms as a lot of people think that is all that is used.

If you have only been paddling 3 times you can be excused as to your technique.

It will come with the more paddling you do.
    Also if you are really into improving there are individuals who offer stroke technique coaching
    By getting it right from beginning you won't burn yourself out as much.

What part of your body was sore after the paddle? Your arms?
    Lower back?

My hip was sore and my stomach felt like I pulled it. I am an experienced cyclist that races so my fitness is pretty good but rowing is a different kettle of fish as I found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cycling Dubliner

The "simple" forward paddling technique is really not as straightforward as many think. It could be your grip, wrist twist, differences between strength on each side, not sitting in the middle of the boat (yea it can be that simple).

In a nutshell, without seeing you paddle I can't tell you very much, but there is alot going on when paddling.

Also when you say 'drifting' is that sliding or turning. They are two very different problems.

Lastly as alluded above, the type of kayak can make a difference to how straight they paddle. Playboats like to turn, sea kayaks like to go straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

A little tip I tell beginners when learning to paddle is to push your paddle through the water with your high arm, rather than dragging it with your lower arm.
    At the same time use the opposite foot to the side you are paddling on, to help push the boat through the water, this should also help the boat to keep straighter.
    A lot of the time beginners are not sitting upright in their boats and this doesn't help with paddling technique either - causing strained muscles.
    Make sure back and foot rests are adjusted correctly. Also make sure you're not holding the paddle off-centre, this will throw off your paddling as a beginner.

Advertisement