Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Competition

Options
  • 31-07-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

How long after starting BJJ as a complete beginner could you expect to compete? However small the event...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

I have known a few people who have started competing anywhere from a few months to a year. Once you have the basics its good experience to try a few competitions early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As soon as 2-3 months in you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

2-3 months, but really you should be asking your coach and/or maybe your club mates who are already competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

I would say as soon as possible. Obviously everyone is different in terms of fitness but in my experience getting those first comp jitters out of the way, regardless of outcome, is the most important. It's a safe sport, so worst case scenario is you get beaten. Injuries are pretty rare if you are prepared to tap in a submission.

As Makikomi said, ask your coach. I would think certainly no longer than 3 months if training at least twice per week. I jumped in at the deep end after less than a month and it was a great experience.

Enjoy

Advertisement