Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodoc varnish finishes- where to buy?

Options
  • 30-07-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have any experience with Woodoc wood finishes? I bought a couple of tins of Woodoc 10 direct from the supplier a few years ago and only got around to using it recently on a project. It could be best described as a "wiping" varnish I think, goes on very easily and is readily absorbed into the grain, dries quick and was super easy to use with none of the problems I'd normally associate with a regular polyurethane. I'd like to get some more at some stage, can it be bought in a bricks and mortar store, or could I experiment and make up a mix of my own with say regular polyurethane/ white spirit/ boiled linseed oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Anyone here have any experience with Woodoc wood finishes? I bought a couple of tins of Woodoc 10 direct from the supplier a few years ago and only got around to using it recently on a project. It could be best described as a "wiping" varnish I think, goes on very easily and is readily absorbed into the grain, dries quick and was super easy to use with none of the problems I'd normally associate with a regular polyurethane. I'd like to get some more at some stage, can it be bought in a bricks and mortar store, or could I experiment and make up a mix of my own with say regular polyurethane/ white spirit/ boiled linseed oil?

Phil Irons ,the UK based woodturner has the agency for Woodoc. Dunno if he will export to you because of freight restrictions.
    Have you considered the 'Sam Maloof' mixture of 1/3 satin poly,1/3 Boiled Linseed oil and 1/3 white spirit. ? It need to be wiped off fully after application otherwise it turns into a sticky 'honey' but it certainly gives a natural look to the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks, I've tried that mix, does a passable job but not as nice or easy to use as the Woodoc- whatever their secret recipe is!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

woodoc is now imported into ireland by a different wholesaler, based in both Dublin and Belfast I think. They sell mainly to the Paint shops, so try a paint shop retailer, failing that, drop me an email to whraitt@eircom.net and I'll send you some from Donegal

Talk soon

Stan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I think I've seen some in The Caarpentry Store in Naas recently, if Stanirish' offer doesn't suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks for the info lads, I must make a trip to the Carpentry Store (heard lots of good things about it here), failing that I'll get in touch with Stanirish, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Strahan timber in Rathcoole sell Woodoc

Advertisement