Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphing Query - Differing Scales

Options
  • 30-07-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Anyone good at graphs?

I have two data sets I want to map together to show their trend relative to one another. The actual data in this instance is not important, its the relative trend.

The Data Set: One value is always less than 1.0 and never negative. The other, is always whole, and can be postive and negative. The full data set is known before you begin.

e.g.

0.512 -7
    0.187 +1
    0.891 -9

The question, how do you graph them? Assuming the decimal data is the 'master' set and I want to map the whole numbers relative to the decimal data.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

In Excel you can have a secondary y-axis with a scale that's independent of the primary one.
    More info here:

https://support.office.com/en-za/article/Add-or-remove-a-secondary-axis-in-a-chart-91da1e2f-5db1-41e9-8908-e1a2e14dd5a9

I also found this, sound isn't great but gets the concept across:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks Yakuza

I'm not using Excel however and if I was to limit to one axis and plot together, that is the solution i'm looking for. I don't think it's possible however.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Normalize them. Something like

D1_i = (d1_i - min(d1 data)) / (max(d1 data) - min(d1 data)); and so on

If you want to demonstrate a correlation between them graphically, then plot them on a single graph with the X coord being from data set 1 and the Y coord being from data set 2. They should form a straight line if there is a linear correlation.

Just remember this is all data manipulation to get what you want, so be careful what conclusions you make from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm going with Dibkins' second suggestion here: if you have two sets of numbers related to each other, you're probably looking at a X-Y chart. In that case you don't need to renormalise anything, the scales will accommodate the ranges.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement