Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Probation Period - Questions needed

Options
  • 30-07-2015 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I'm just finishing up my 6 month probation period in my job. I've been told that they want to keep me on full-time.

I have a meeting with my manager next week so I'd appreciate any advice on what kind of questions I should be asking.

Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Really depends on the type of job/position.

Have you had regular meetings with your manager to discuss your progress during the past six months?
    Were any conditions negotiated conditional upon you passing the six month period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Creator

Hey Bisounours,

I guess I did leave the question too open. Its a Tech/Customer support role in a tech startup. There was no dedicated employee for this before I joined so it has kinda just been me getting to know the system and figuring out what needs to be done better and then making my case so I can go ahead and implement it.

Meetings have been regular but were only really catchups to see if I was having any issues.

My contract states that once I pass my 6 months I can buy into a share option scheme. That question will be on the table for sure.

I suppose I can ask about whether the company plans on setting up an employer match contribution pension scheme in the future, what will be expected of me in the future so I can meet their demands and what opportunities I can work towards securing if I continue to work here (not planning on leaving that is for sure).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for additional questions that could prove beneficial for me to know the answers to.

Thanks,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

I'm going to assume you have already covered health insurance, bonus scheme, performance management, extra holidays etc (only mentioning it as you referred to pension scheme)

I've never worked in a startup but I would probably be nosy about the following (would have asked at the interview):

Company strategy - expansion plans whether platform or employees.
    Cross-training - upskilling (related to the above)
    and if you're feeling gutsy, what the profit margin is :)

Hey

Health Insurance: There is a plan but I prefer the one I'm on so I'll try push for a contribution before I decide to switch.
    Bonus Scheme: Isn't any :(
    Performance Management: None but I would be in favour of introducing it (And tying it to a bonus scheme)
    Extra holidays: Already really generous
    Public transport: Paid in full which is pretty sweet.

Been thinking about it all evening and probably going to go with this:
    1. Health insurance contribution rather than join the plan
    2. Upgraded to a laptop so I can work remote
    3. Likelihood of pension scheme being introduced in the future
    4. Where can I take the role/what areas could I focus on to fill a skills gap

I was planning to wait for the year to see if I can get a raise.

Cheers for the help and if anyone else has any ideas please keep them coming.

Thanks,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It may be stating the obvious but:
    • Let them know that you are grateful.
    • Let them know that you really enjoy working there.
    • Let them know that you see the company as a place that you can have a career.

By all means address the terms of your permanent contract, but don't make too big a deal of it at the meeting where you are made permanent. You can negotiate over the following couple of weeks.

*Remember, probation completed or not, you can still be let go very easily in the first year, don't make the mistake of relaxing or taking your foot of the pedal. Keep your enthusiasm and performance high.

• Advertisement

Thanks,

Yeah the kill them with kindness comes to mind. No plan to slow performance down anyway. So many ideas that I want to try implement.

Thanks,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think you might be over-thinking it a little, though I'm sure they're delighted that you're so keen. End of probation meetings are often very short and just a confirmation that you've full time. I wouldn't be in a mad rush to talk about all the extra benefits you're looking for though; that can happen over time.

Advertisement