Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled potential emigration HELP

Options
  • 30-07-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Okay, get ready for a TL;DR, but I need help. I'm 22, born and live in Dublin. My situation spans the course of the past year and a half (2014 to now) involving two chronic pain conditions: chronic migraine and chronic back pain due to a deformed disc in my lumbar spine.

Can't afford healthcare, household has never been able to, medical card has been pending since early 2015, as we were *just* over the cusp of being eligible for one until my Father was effectively made redundant in late 2014.

2014: consigned to bed with constant migraine, unable to sign up for jobseeker's as was unfit for work, but doctors wouldn't sign off on a disability allowance (which I'm told takes at least nine months to complete, and often requires an appeal?!) because Ireland "doesn't recognise chronic migraine as a disability". 8 months in bed, began aggravating my already deformed lumbar disc (unknown about until early 2015 when the real back problems began).

2015: Almost immediately into the new year my migraines mysteriously disappear. Back pain has been there all this time, but isn't so significant. I sign up for jobseekers, and get it. almost immediately after however, the back pain suddenly spikes out of nowhere, and within a month I require a walking stick to walk more than ten minutes; constant and high levels of pain via aches and twinges; can't sleep properly, which is bringing the migraines back. From January till just yesterday I have seen two physiotherapists on the public system, as well as orthopaedic doctors who give me spinal epidurals that only work for three days and I can only get these every three months. Physiotherapy only seems to worsen it. I'm just out of A&E now, where I was told that there was nothing really to be done, back surgery would be unlikely to do anything, and that I have to remain on waiting lists.

I'm being evaluated for my jobseeking status in September. As it's worsened I've been scared to approach social welfare about it because of the nebulous nature of the case - there was no injury per sé, I am perhaps verging on disabled as I am deteriorating pretty quickly, but my doctors have up until now discouraged me from applying for disability, but now it's gotten to the point where I've had to go to A&E - and frankly I was scared they'd stop my payments, half of which I have to give over to the household because of our lack of money. Because of the opening times and the bank holiday I can't see them until next Tuesday morning.

Even if I am deemed eligible for disability, I think I mentioned before that, from what I'm told, it takes just under a YEAR for it to go through - what about my jobseeking status until then, huh?

SO, TO THE (potential) EMIGRATION PART.

I'm told fantastic things about the NHS - treatment etc within weeks as opposed to months here on the public system. I'm just wondering what the status is on availing of the NHS if I were to move over? Can I theoretically just go over and, if I have a place to stay (family member), avail of the NHS if I'm not a UK citizen? Will they be more likely to be sympathetic with my case in regards to potentially granting either disability or a temporary equivalent? What about my benefits or potential benefits in conjunction with this if I'm not a citizen? Would I have to stay in the UK?

I'm sorry if this isn't coherent I'm just desperate at this stage I feel like this country doesn't give two ****s about my health and I havent slept for more than a couple of hours at a time for month and forget what it feels like to not be in pain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Eligibility for healthcare / benefits is based on residency not citizenship. That said healthcare or benefit tourism (which is what you seem to be suggesting) is quite understandably and correctly frowned upon and discouraged - Why should UK taxpayers fund treatment or benefits for a resident of another country ? I doubt very much if you would be considered for either medium to long term healthcare or benefits unless you can demonstrate that you are a genuine long term resident of the UK and not just trying to exploit the system.
    One thing that I do agree with you about: Healthcare in Ireland and support in general for those with disabilities is absolutely appalling in Ireland. Even at the height of the Celtic Tiger Boom when the country was awash with money and we'd thrown open our door (and the coffers) to all kinds of foreign scammers and chancers, the government support available to disabled Irish people (who's families had been paying taxes for many generations) was completely abysmal. It is an absolute disgrace.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

NHS healthcare is based on residency, despite what the Daily Mail would have people believe you can't just rock up and enjoy long term healthcare for free from day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Why on earth do you think British taxpayers should have to pick up the bill for your health? You're Irish, and the responsibility of the Irish.

It's this mentality that fuels the "leave the EU" crowd.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I certainly sympathise with your situation, it sounds horrendous :(

However, as others have said you wouldn't be eligible for free care under the NHS as you don't meet the residency requirements.

Edit:

Since this thread looks set to descend into squabbling, I've closed it. OP, if you've got further questions you want to post here please PM me and I'll reopen it for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement