Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary realignment to market...

Options
  • 29-07-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

First of all, please forgive me if this is going to sound like a rant, because it probably is - I am quite pissed off, to be entirely honest.

Let's put the basics down first: I really like the job I currently work, I like the environment and, most importantly, like the people I work with - most of them are very skilled, friendly and collaborative. I have no problem saying that it's the best position I have been in yet, work-wise.

However, in the almost 4 years I spent at this company, I never once received a promotion nor a salary raise, notwithstanding extensive praise from middle and upper management, awards, bonuses and the fact that I actually trained most of my colleagues on some specific extra skills I possess, due to working in a different field previously (and which proved quite decisive time and again to solve some key issues, hence the praise/awards above).

In the same time, almost everyone else in my extended team was bumped up multiple times, including most of the people I actually trained.

As I was hired at the end of 2011, at the height of the "recession" I got a basic salary that, while average at the time, is now a little bit below the lower end of the spectrum. As I recently noticed my monthly expenses went up by a good 20% (rent increased 15% alone, utility bills went up, water charges), I picked up myself and, for the first time in a 15 years long career, asked for a "salary realignment" with the current market.

I was essentially not only told "no way", but it was also implied it won't happen at any time in the future, and that more or less I'm stuck on whatever initial deal I got.

Even more interestingly, in the meeting the concept of "needing to make it justified" was tossed around - so on one side, they hand me a plaque saying "outstanding job!" and a gift certificate; When it comes to proper money talk, however, I haven't done enough. I very nearly burst out laughing at that (worst ever strategy to try and extract even more from someone).

So I'll probably end up leaving a position I like and enjoy working in - consolation being that they'll need to hire somebody to fill the position and it's likely it'll cost them much more than the raise I was seeking (current salaries for the same position, experience and skills are about 50-75% higher than what I get, and I was seeking a 20% increase).

Sorry about the rant, again - I'm sure others experienced similar scenarios, right? Willing to share? And maybe how you solved the issue, if a solution is possible at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The only way to prove your value is to "test the market"... ie apply for other jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I think employers try to guess if an employee is the type to whine about it and do nothing or the type that hands in his/her notice.

Very often you won't get that rise until you hand in your notice.

Don't be afraid to get another job. It's very likely you'll enjoy working there as well.

And if you get a 75% pay rise, all the better !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭daheff

Sounds like your employer only values your role at specific salary level. If other employers value a role at a (75%) higher salary level then don't hang around.

they have no loyalty to you so don't feel any to them. Your loyalty should be to you and your family and better earnings (in most cases) are of more benefit to you.

do you get annual/semi annual performance reviews? If so what scores are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

daheff wrote: »
    Sounds like your employer only values your role at specific salary level. If other employers value a role at a (75%) higher salary level then don't hang around.

they have no loyalty to you so don't feel any to them. Your loyalty should be to you and your family and better earnings (in most cases) are of more benefit to you.

do you get annual/semi annual performance reviews? If so what scores are you getting?

They are fairly ridiculous to be honest -the very way they are conducted is debatable to say the least; for example, the fact I invested a consisted amount of time into training other employees (with a tangible benefit and, mind you, saving the company thousands of €€€ by not having to hire a course/instructor) was not even taken into consideration. I still got a final result close to 90%, and a...wait for it... 1% increase :D

Advertisement