Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

energycentre.ie rep called to door

Options
  • 29-07-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭

An energycentre.ie representative called to the door and say that they're doing home energy checks in the area for free. He says the government paid them to do them.

I provisionally agreed to them coming around on Friday to give me a chance to check them out. I assume that this is a Trojan Horse manoeuvre to get in and hard sell their services to me, but I don't know anything much about this sector.

They're ringing tomorrow to confirm Friday, and I'm probably going to cancel, but can anyone confirm my suspicion that the government has not paid them to go house to house doing free home energy checks?

(In Dublin 16, by the way.)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

classic cold calling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    classic cold calling
    Will email to cancel later, I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Will email to cancel later, I think.

they will probably try to point you towards government grant schemes, and claim to do all the organising etc

might be no harm allowing them do the "free survey" if your strong willed enough not to accept the sales pitch after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You're right, they're pushing the grants angle.

I know my weaknesses all too well. Have emailed to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nonimouse

They called to my door too, the guy said they had been asked to call in by the SEAI. I of course allowed myself to be persuaded. I was able to cancel the next day. Further, in our estate they have had an illegal advert up on one of the house walls for the last month, very unpleasant it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement