Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g antenna

Options
  • 28-07-2015 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Anyone have a 4g antenna. Discuss them in this thread and also if anyone has a poynting antenna for sale, hit me up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Anyone have a 4g antenna. Discuss them in this thread and also if anyone has a poynting antenna for sale, hit me up!

I have one for sale, poynting xpol a0001, €60 plus postage, it's brand new, only thing missing is the little rubber suckers to attach to a window, but they were useless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AHireland2k11

That's fine if you only need an indoor antenna, the cables are only 2m long. They are very flimsy and light, they also don't come with a pole mounting bracket. The listing is also misleading, these are NOT signal amplifiers, they are plain antennas, I very much doubt they will be any where near 35dbi gain, even the poynting only quotes UP TO 9dbi gain and it's MUCH better quality.

I could have got the poynting for 35 on adverts but someone got it before me.

you sure the poynting would improve mine? I have 2/3 bars on three getting between 15-25mb download and 2-5mb upload. Ping is between 40 and 70.

Meteor 4g getting 3 bars with about 11mb download and 2-3 upload. Ping about the same.

• Advertisement

Thought you wanted something cheaper? Those are both over €80 plus shipping. You cant get a poynting now for under €100. There's a reason for that.

where would you get a poynting for under 100

where would you get a poynting for under 100
    WillyFXP wrote: »
    You cant get a poynting now for under €100.

I had already answered that.....

WillyFXP wrote: »
    I have one for sale, poynting xpol a0001, €60 plus postage, it's brand new, only thing missing is the little rubber suckers to attach to a window, but they were useless anyway.

Now sold.

• Advertisement

anyone have a good antenna for sale? Would be interested!

If anyone has a4g external antenna available let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Directional or omni antenna? Have 2 bars three 4g

Directional or omni antenna? Have 2 bars three 4g

See ones on dipol.ie cheap

Would like to get this thread moving again as looking for antenna to improve my three 4g signal, getting 2 bars want to get 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

I have a cat5 cable running from a pole outside that was attached to a FWA receiver that runs into my sitting room. Is there any external 4g antennae out there that would can use the cat5 cab to increase the signal to a 4g router in the sitting room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

You have been ''looking'' for over a year ! Not an impulse buyer are you ? I would have knitted one quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I'm looking at 4G antennas. I can have cheap or good, but not both.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

funnyname wrote: »
    I have a cat5 cable running from a pole outside that was attached to a FWA receiver that runs into my sitting room. Is there any external 4g antennae out there that would can use the cat5 cab to increase the signal to a 4g router in the sitting room.

Not sure if you're still looking for something along these lines, but I spotted this which may do the trick. Seems to be pre-order at the minute, so I have no idea if/how well it works with Irish LTE/4G networks. No fallback if there's no LTE though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

That device looks ideal for the OP's situation. Well spotted!
    It has band 3, but not band 20 so depending on who your provider is (and what part of the country) you might have problems with it. Wikipedia have a page on LTE assignments for Irish networks which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I'm looking at 4G antennas. I can have cheap or good, but not both.

That is right, but you can get good and no so expensive..

I got my Poynting XPOL-A0001 delivered through parcelmotel for £63.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/15383-solwise-4g-xpol-a0001/?gclid=CL7UsZ-K2s4CFUq3GwodYlkNzw

It did require a phone call to them as credit card was Irish and delivery address UK, but in the end no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Dero wrote: »
    Not sure if you're still looking for something along these lines, but I spotted this which may do the trick. Seems to be pre-order at the minute, so I have no idea if/how well it works with Irish LTE/4G networks. No fallback if there's no LTE though.
    Pity it lacks band 20, which is what all three operators mainly use in rural locations due to the longer 800MHz signal propagation.

The only drawback I see is that the SIM card needs to be placed in the unit due to it containing the radio hardware. This can be awkward for anyone who takes their SIM with them such as in a MiFi when travelling.

I made this, On Meteor 4g. My download went from 12/13 mbps to 60 mbps. The secret is to use ferrite rod which acts as an amplifier[IMG][/img]6ifs4w.jpg

Looks simple but to someone like me I wouldn't have a clue how to make that. Can you buy the individual parts in a hardware shop and I take it a bit of soldering is required. Also is that for internal or external use?
    chillin117 wrote: »
    I made this, On Meteor 4g. My download went from 12/13 mbps to 60 mbps. The secret is to use ferrite rod which acts as an amplifier

• Registered Users Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

A dipole of multiple wavelength(s) or essentially just a random wire?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    A dipole of multiple wavelength(s) or essentially just a random wire?
    totally random, External, Hanging from the window, No Tech Speak here !

What's the max length of that type of cable you can run to the router before the signal starts to degrade?
    totally random, External, Hanging from the window, No Tech Speak here !

funnyname wrote: »
    What's the max length of that type of cable you can run to the router before the signal starts to degrade?
    about 15ft

• Advertisement

Any chance you can post a photo from the other angle to show how the SMA cable end is soldered to the ferrite rod? Also did you buy the rod or pick it up a spare piece?

I'm going to give this a try, many thanks for your posts.
    I made this, On Meteor 4g. My download went from 12/13 mbps to 60 mbps. The secret is to use ferrite rod which acts as an amplifier

Advertisement