Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work abroad with animals, for free (is it even possible?)

Options
  • 28-07-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey, So i love animals
    and would love to have the experience of helping out and volunteering abroad with them
    BUT it seems every time i find one it costs 2-5 grand
    And i get that it goes towards them training you, to the tools ect...
    but i just dont have the money
    and was wondering is there any volunteer programs that are free?
    (or only have a small registration fee?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

Have you thought about WWOOFing? (WWOOF = World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms)

From what I have read on the website, you choose the country you want to visit, pay a small fee for a one year subscription (I think the fee varies depending on the country, but it shouldn't be more than 50 euro). Then you select from a list of host farms that you want to visit. In return for working on the farm, you get free accommodation and meals.

I don't know what type of animals you're looking to work with, but I'm sure that a lot of WWOOF hosts have dairy farms, chickens, stuff like that. There also seem to be a lot of places that have horses. I would check out Australia and Africa for places that have more exotic animals.

These link might be of help to you:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/WWOOF
    http://www.staringatmaps.com/wwoofing-101-the-complete-guide/

I've thought about WWOOFing myself, I think it would be a really great opportunity for anyone. Especially if you want to learn/improve a language. There is no training involved, and no costs beyond registration and travel, as far as I can see. You could probably even volunteer somewhere in Ireland if you wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I volunteered in a Panda reserve in China for a couple of weeks, I organised it myself so it was cheap that way. It was in Bifengxia. I think it cost about 20USD per day and accomodation was about 12USD. This was a couple of years ago so I'm not entirely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

If you're an independently minded traveller and looking for a low cost volunteering opportunity abroad, have a look at HelpStay

Here's an Animal Rescue Volunteering opportunity in India

Free bed and board is included on most, there's a small yearly membership fee to join.

Advertisement