Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 4.5" Android phone

Options
  • 28-07-2015 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭

My wife needs a new phone - currently has an aging Samsung Galaxy Mini S3 (I *think* that's what it is called!) - and would like something similar enough in size, so won't go for that Vodaphone 5.5" bargain that everyone's excited about.

Can anyone recommend a good Android phone in the 4"-4.5" range? Budget up to €175 I'd guess. Are we talking Moto G?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

+1 for moto g, have it a year and no issues, 4G version will future proof it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Moto G is not worth the cash these days. Overpriced for what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You'd get a great bargain on a HTC One M7 which has a 4.7" screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

ionapaul wrote: »
    My wife needs a new phone - currently has an aging Samsung Galaxy Mini S3 (I *think* that's what it is called!) - and would like something similar enough in size, so won't go for that Vodaphone 5.5" bargain that everyone's excited about.

Can anyone recommend a good Android phone in the 4"-4.5" range? Budget up to €175 I'd guess. Are we talking Moto G?

Theres no decent spec phones in the 4-4.5 inch range imo.

You would get used to the Smart Ultra phone and love it after a while (battery life,performance/speed,camera are unmatched for the price), but maybe the VF Prime 6 is more what you'd be into. There's also a new Moto G coming out soon (google it)

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-prime-6-pay-as-you-go-anthracite
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    You'd get a great bargain on a HTC One M7 which has a 4.7" screen.

Thats an ancient phone. Will have problems after updating to Android __ .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thats an ancient phone. Will have problems after updating to Android __ .

Really? It certainly isn't a current flagship, but is more than capable with current android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Really? It certainly isn't a current flagship, but is more than capable with current android.

Absolutely....certainly no slouch.

Any number of ROMs here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one

4.7" is an ideal size, imo

My own Chinese Jiayu 4GS has that screen size, and specs, and is a flyer.....but deffo not as beautiful!!

www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/5f7e2c34

About €145'ish free shipping, import duty insurance inc. from Pandawill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is 4.6" and is a brilliant phone.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6538&idPhone3=6849&idPhone2=6891

Not exactly on par with the M9 or S6 but they are both newer phones. There will most likely be a Z4 Compact released in the next couple of months with upgraded internals.

However, it's probably double the OP's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

The 'Moto E 2nd Gen LTE version' is quite good (the non-LTE version has a processor deemed not fantastic) ... hovering about e140 on Amazon.de and Amazon.es

PROs
    - Minimal bloatware
    - Decent processor (SN410)

CONs
    - Like all budget/mid-range phones ... 8gb internal storage is very small (the OS takes up about half)
    - Apparently the OS won't get upgraded from L to M.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

^ that phone was €50 in Tesco a few weeks back. Also, this thread is four months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

As it turns out, I actually ended up grabbing that new version of the Moto E for €59.99 in Tesco, lucky me for waiting a while before pulling the trigger! Wife extremely happy with it, great bargain.

• Advertisement

That was a really good price for the 2nd Gen LTE version ... good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ionapaul wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. I looked at the S4mini as a friend of mine has one, but it seems to be slow and looks clunky. I'm thinking of the Samsung Galaxy A3 instead, but it might be above your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

vienne86 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I looked at the S4mini as a friend of mine has one, but it seems to be slow and looks clunky. I'm thinking of the Samsung Galaxy A3 instead, but it might be above your budget.

My missus had an S4 mini. Wouldn't touch it. The only relation it is to the S4 is that it looked like a smaller S4. Processor, memory, screen, camera were all cut way down.

I need to get a phone for my dad for Christmas. I was wondering what's the current decent model to get for about €150 max.

My missus had an S4 mini. Wouldn't touch it. The only relation it is to the S4 is that it looked like a smaller S4. Processor, memory, screen, camera were all cut way down.

I need to get a phone for my dad for Christmas. I was wondering what's the current decent model to get for about €150 max.

One of the keys to a better experience with android seems to be 'stock android' ... Moto get this mostly right.

The 'Moto E 2nd gen LTE' version 😊
    Honest, I don't work for Motorola!

They're e120 in Argos ... I think.

On a more general note; wouldn't it be fantastic if 16gb internal storage was the entry level norm in all android & windows devices; rather than 8gb.

Advertisement