Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PTRB

• 28-07-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I always thought it was the sole responsibility of the landlord to pay the PTRB fee but my daughter's landlord is looking for them to pay half of it because he says it's in both their interests.

Does anyone know if he is right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The PRTB registration is tax deductible for the landlord and the landlord is responsible for 100% of the cost. Being asked to pay it is a major warning sign of a landlord who's not fully above board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks, Athtrasna.

Feck. :( How to say it to him? He's been more than fair until this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'd be inclined to print this out from citizens information and approach him saying something along the lines of "Thanks for letting us know about the PRTB fee, it's not something I know much about but I got on to citizens information and this is what they sent me. They also said you will get tax relief on the registration fee so it's something that will help bring down your tax bill".

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/registering_a_tenancy.html
    Each registration costs €90. If you are registering a number of tenancies in the same building at the same time, you can pay a composite fee of €375. If a single registration is late, the fee is doubled. If a multiple registration is late, the composite fee no longer applies and a fee of €180 applies for each tenancy being registered late.

Landlords should not ask tenants to pay the registration fee.

Landlords who fail to register may be fined up to €3,000 and face imprisonment for up to six months on conviction. A further penalty of €250 for each day of non-registration may be levied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Had the same with my letting agent when I moved in here years ago. They figure you are an easy mark as you have sidled up with a months rent + deposit and will just reach in and give them the extra 50 (or 90 now). I refused, moved in anyhow. And yep, turns out he isn't above board.

<MOD SNIP>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tenants can raise a complaint with the PRTB whether the fee is paid or not, the landlord can only raise a complaint if the fee has been paid, so "it's in both their interests" is a lie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement