Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Objectives English

Options
  • 28-07-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all,

Am currently getting stuff together for next year, but was wondering re: learning objectives. Our school has gone big on them being written on the board before the lesson.

A lot of novel or play study is just reading in class, be it me reading or them reading aloud. I obviously don't want to spoil the story by telling them what's good night to happen in the objective either.

What would the learning objective be for such a lesson?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Not an English teacher, but could you post up certain themes that are expressed in the scenes to be covered? You wouldn't necessarily have to state which character it is that is involved.

The other option is to just have a more bland general objective relating to professing through the play/novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Not an English teacher either but could you have broad objectives eg. Evaluate relationships between characters in chapter 2 or something to that effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am currently getting stuff together for next year, but was wondering re: learning objectives. Our school has gone big on them being written on the board before the lesson.

A lot of novel or play study is just reading in class, be it me reading or them reading aloud. I obviously don't want to spoil the story by telling them what's good night to happen in the objective either.

What would the learning objective be for such a lesson?

If all your doing is reading then " We will read chapter 5 ...". Look at blooms taxonomy for verb prompts. It doesn't have to be complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

No problem in having objectives that focus on the skills the students develop as they're reading, as opposed to relating to the actual plot - you could also refer to specific styles or techniques that the author uses in certain parts of the text ie "I will be able to identify the use of personification in Chapter 2 and use it in my own writing" and then give them a short task where they model their own work on what they've just read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

A learning objective should specify the learning, not the doing. I'm on my phone so can't see the posts above me but someone mentioned Blooms Taxonomy, definitely get your verbs from here, one lower order and one higher order for example. Learning objectives for the class could be to identify the character traits of X and to compare and contrast them with Y.

This is going to sound all high and mighty but try to use learning objectives to genuinely help you, not just to tick the box. What do you want your students to know, or be able to do; what are the things you'll be assessing at the end of the piece of work [or during if you're very AfL ;) ]; what are the small steps they need to reach their overall learning aim.

In terms of not wanting to give things away, I've often left my learning objective or heading blank, and left a few minutes at the end of class for the students to determine what they learnt.

Just editing to clarify that a learning objective shouldn't be a doing thing, but it can be a skill. So a student's learning objective wouldn't be to read chapter one, because they're not learning to read chapter one. If you're reading in class what are you expecting they'll learn? That's the sentence you need to answer when designing your objective :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement