Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Penalty Points

Options
  • 28-07-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi-

In the past two months I've received 2 speeding fines in 60 and 80km zones. These seem really harsh when you consider I'm ~10 -15km over the limit in both cases. This morning I think I was done again in a 80km but remains to be seen. This means I'm one speeding ticket from losing my license.

Does anybody know if there's an appeal process for this? While I'm getting past left and right I'm getting penalty points! How is there any cars left on the road?!

Finally, does anybody know if the drivers photo is taken? What's to stop me saying I wasn't driving the car? It was another insured driver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moved from Forum Requests to Motors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi-

In the past two months I've received 2 speeding fines in 60 and 80km zones. These seem really harsh when you consider I'm ~10 -15km over the limit in both cases. This morning I think I was done again in a 80km but remains to be seen. This means I'm one speeding ticket from losing my license.

Does anybody know if there's an appeal process for this? While I'm getting past left and right I'm getting penalty points! How is there any cars left on the road?!

Finally, does anybody know if the drivers photo is taken? What's to stop me saying I wasn't driving the car? It was another insured driver

10 kph over the limit in a 60 zone is 18% over the limit, 15 is 25. There is no appeals process.

I think they do take photos, so you can't just claim it was someone else.

Slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Photo of driver or not,if it's your car it up to you to prove you weren't driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Only a photo of the number plate is taken.
    Some people do let another insured driver take the points if they are willing, I don't think its legal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I feel your pain. I may have been caught doing slightly over 60 on Sunday morning coming off the N3 onto the naas road. The speed van was hidden beside the petrol station. There is a set of traffic lights there. The lanes drop from 4 to 1 quickly. The bottle neck is supposed to slow traffic but it has the effect that drivers speed up to cross lanes before they run out of road. I was in the far left lane running out of road trying to get in.
    I'm hoping their is no fine in the post this week . On my commute to and from work there is frequent speed vans but too much traffic to be speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

hi5 wrote: »
    Only a photo of the number plate is taken.

Only a picture of the number plate is sent with the notice. That doesn't mean a picture of the whole car isn't taken or stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I'm getting sick of this rubbish, the N11 is littered with these cameras on dual carriageways with 60 km/h limits. And (I could be wrong, but) someone with their licence 18 months and who drives down that road twice within the space of an hour doing 68 is off the road.

And these gobshltes in the RSA are patting themselves on the back because we've all gotten safer, based on the premise that every car does 50,000 km a year and accidents per km are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 speedtestdub

I'd love to see that stats that show how a driver with over 25years experience and zero accidents presents a risk by driving 5-10km's over the speed limit

#nannystate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd love to see that stats that show how a driver with over 25years experience and zero accidents presents a risk by driving 5-10km's over the speed limit

#nannystate
    What's should the experience threshold be for allowing speeding so? 5 years? 15 years? 17.3 years? How about an extra 5 km/h over the limit per 5 years experience?

Or how about one rule for all? Your experience doesn't rub off on other drivers around you. For example it won't stop you from hitting someone doing the limit if they pull out in front of you to overtake and they don't expect you to be speeding. They should have spotted you but there would be one person getting the majority of the blame.

TheChizler wrote: »
    What's should the experience threshold be for allowing speeding so? 5 years? 15 years? 17.3 years? How about an extra 5 km/h over the limit per 5 years experience?

Or how about one rule for all? Your experience doesn't rub off on other drivers around you. For example it won't stop you from hitting someone doing the limit if they pull out in front of you to overtake and they don't expect you to be speeding. They should have spotted you but there would be one person getting the majority of the blame.

I forgot to mention that you'll get no sympathy on here. It's full of Gay byrne types that have never gone over the speed limit ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I forgot to mention that you'll get no sympathy on here. It's full of Gay byrne types that have never gone over the speed limit ever.
    Of course we've all sped. We're only talking about getting caught. What's your alternative proposal so?

TheChizler wrote: »

There are many alternatives. How open people are to them is another question. For example

1. Drivers without incidents or accidents for x years get 2 penalty points
    2. Get caught once, mandatory driving school. Get caught twice points kick in
    3. +5% over the limit=1 point, +10% over the limit=2 points. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

I do feel for you though - I came back into town via N2 couple of days ago (first time in this stretch) so unaware when I should start slowing down already. Whizzing along at 100 (with others overtaking) when the next sign I saw was 50. Maybe I did miss the 80/60 sign earlier? Option 1 was to keep in line with the flow of traffic, alternative was to brake to drop down to 50 and likely cause a pile up. No flashes or anything to give away whether I've been tagged, but will be checking the post box with trepidation for the next weeks. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

How long does it take for the letter to arrive, got pulled over by a local Garda 2 and a half weeks ago and ive heard nothing.

bisounours wrote: »
    I do feel for you though - I came back into town via N2 couple of days ago (first time in this stretch) so unaware when I should start slowing down already. Whizzing along at 100 (with others overtaking) when the next sign I saw was 50. Maybe I did miss the 80/60 sign earlier? Option 1 was to keep in line with the flow of traffic, alternative was to brake to drop down to 50 and likely cause a pile up. No flashes or anything to give away whether I've been tagged, but will be checking the post box with trepidation for the next weeks. Ugh.

The fines usually comes within a working week. Speedie ! I got mine from a speeding van (contractor) I guess they're automated. Getting one from a garda probably means more paper work. Fingers crossed he's lost the paperwork ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've sped from time to time, everyone has.
    But if I get points I've only myself to blame as if I speed I knowingly break the law...only a idiot thinks they are immune to the law, I'm not going to post on boards.ie crying about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

Are the Gay Byrne types better or worse as the people that come on admitting they are speeding and then moaning that they are being fined for speeding?

There's nowt as queer as folk as the saying goes.

SteM wrote: »
    Are the Gay Byrne types better or worse as the people that come on admitting they are speeding and then moaning that they are being fined for speeding?

There's nowt as queer as folk as the saying goes.

Worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Getting one from a garda probably means more paper work. Fingers crossed he's lost the paperwork ?

It does happen from time to time, the Garda gets to the station and figures he couldn't be bothered with the paperwork. T'was a Garda who told me this as well. I'm still waiting for the notice the time I was caught speeding by a Garda about 6 years ago*. That's 3 cars ago now.

*For the pedants amongst you, yes, I do indeed realize I'm not going to get a fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've sped from time to time, everyone has.
    But if I get points I've only myself to blame as if I speed I knowingly break the law...only a idiot thinks they are immune to the law, I'm not going to post on boards.ie crying about it

There is a strong and sustainable argument that a number of speeding vans and cameras are being deployed at knowingly confusing and ridiculous spots, in order to simply generate revenue. These are spots that are not dangerous and are not frequent with accidents.

I'm terrible with road names, but the one you go coming fromLiffey Valley to get onto the M50 northbound.

The speed limit drops drastically for what I assume is to cater for people moving across lanes to the slip for M50 north(although if you weren't a dope youd already be in the correct lane well in advance)

I'm driving that route now for a few years and frequently, actually, most normally, see people breaking the speed limit in all lanes. I've never once seen an accident on that stretch.

But its the only stretch where by you see speed cameras and the vans setup. Thats people making up their stats, hitting targets, because its a known confusing spot for speed limit changes, and a known area for speeding.

Comapre that with the M50 northbound, which has an accident probably twice a week at a minimum causing chaos, mostly down to speeding, or poor driver awareness when moving lanes, and I've never, in all my years of driving that road, ever, seen a speed camera or van from M50 start to Liffey Valley exit.

While it's "easy" to have no sympathy and play the "your own fault" lark, I'd have a fair bit of sympathy for people in certain situations, considering in a lot of cases speed traps are setup in areas for pure revenue generation and stat bumping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

Worse!

Really? If I tell my child not to do something but he does it anyway any then cries when I punish him then I put it down to him being a child, hopefully he'll learn as he matures.

A grown man or woman moaning because they get caught doing something they shouldn't 2 or 3 times over the course of a 2 month period is pathetic imo. But you have your view and I have mine.

Really? If I tell my child not to do something but he does it anyway any then cries when I punish him then I put it down to him being a child, hopefully he'll learn as he matures.

A grown man or woman moaning because they get caught doing something they shouldn't 2 or 3 times over the course of a 2 month period is pathetic imo. But you have your view and I have mine.

Exactly. Opinions differ and boards.ie accommodates different opinions.
    Grown ups can mature too. Do we ever stop maturing ? Maybe you'll mellow someday, after getting some penalty points. We'll never know of course, because you'll take it on the chin and keep it to yourself.

Maybe MLK should have accepted white supremacy because that was the law?
    Perhaps women should stay at home?
    Perhaps two people of the same sex that love each other shouldn't be permitted to get married?
    Maybe we should stick with Catholic church rule?

If we accept things because that's the way they are it would be sad bad world. Perhaps that the sort of world you'd like to live in?

Thankfully we have the democratic right to protest and freedom of speech

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is a strong and sustainable argument that a number of speeding vans and cameras are being deployed at knowingly confusing and ridiculous spots, in order to simply generate revenue. .

But at the same time speed vans have been deployed on stretches of roads where people slowing down was badly needed.

Only a few miles away from me there was a set of bad turns that for decades had a car in a ditch or a truck shed its load atleast once a week.

Now, its extremely rare an incident happens all thanks to the speed vans.
    Speed is a big factor in accidents and slowing down gives people more time to react, people just need to pay attention to speed limits more.

Maybe MLK should have accepted white supremacy because that was the law?
    Perhaps women should stay at home?
    Perhaps two people of the same sex that love each other shouldn't be permitted to get married?
    Maybe we should stick with Catholic church rule?

If we accept things because that's the way they are it would be sad bad world. Perhaps that the sort of world you'd like to live in?

Thankfully we have the democratic right to protest and freedom of speech

Seriously are you in some way trying to compare penalty points to equal race and sex rights as important issues? Are you kidding me?

Protest away about your points, go to court, be a freeman or whatever nonsense you want to do. You admit you broke the law so thats going to undermine any argument you want to make.

Or you could slow down and move on with your life and avoid the points and fines, its very simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is a strong and sustainable argument that a number of speeding vans and cameras are being deployed at knowingly confusing and ridiculous spots, in order to simply generate revenue. These are spots that are not dangerous and are not frequent with accidents.

I'm terrible with road names, but the one you go coming fromLiffey Valley to get onto the M50 northbound.

The speed limit drops drastically for what I assume is to cater for people moving across lanes to the slip for M50 north(although if you weren't a dope youd already be in the correct lane well in advance)

I'm driving that route now for a few years and frequently, actually, most normally, see people breaking the speed limit in all lanes. I've never once seen an accident on that stretch.

But its the only stretch where by you see speed cameras and the vans setup. Thats people making up their stats, hitting targets, because its a known confusing spot for speed limit changes, and a known area for speeding.

Comapre that with the M50 northbound, which has an accident probably twice a week at a minimum causing chaos, mostly down to speeding, or poor driver awareness when moving lanes, and I've never, in all my years of driving that road, ever, seen a speed camera or van from M50 start to Liffey Valley exit.

While it's "easy" to have no sympathy and play the "your own fault" lark, I'd have a fair bit of sympathy for people in certain situations, considering in a lot of cases speed traps are setup in areas for pure revenue generation and stat bumping.

Just on the Liffey Valley-to-M50 bit - that short stretch of road also has to cater for traffic coming out of the underpass and up onto the N4 which may want to take the M50 south - they have to get from their slip road across three (or four?) lanes of fast-moving traffic, some of which is not at all inclined to let cars merge.

Whoever designed or got permission for that junction where it is should be shot.

I do agree however that it should be signposted - preferably on huge gantries - from WAAAAAAAY back, and not as you round the bend after the slip road, about 500 yards from the junction.

(Just realised that that's a bit O/T - apologies and delete if you wish)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

A greater cop presence on the road watching for actual dangerous maneuvers would be better than speed traps but that costs more money I guess. Almost daily, I see dangerous driving that's done under the speed limit that goes undetected - drifting in lanes, break red lights, tail gating, horrendous roundabout lane discipline etc.

Advertisement