Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal?

Options
  • 27-07-2015 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I was approached 2 months ago by a company that I previously worked for as a sub contractor.
    They were tendering for a large contract and were looking to employ me as a direct employee.
    The person who approached me is the project manager, who was also my main point of contact while I previously worked as a subbie.
    We agreed terms and conditions and as far as I was aware all that remained was for them to win the contract.

So fast forward to last week, and I got a phone call to say they have been appointed for the contract.
    I got talking to my contact today to find out a start date, and he told me it would be starting in September, and he just needed to get my appointment rubber stamped by their financial controller.
    I was a bit taken aback by this , but he assured me it's only a formality.

So I gues my question is, should he have offered me the position without running it past finance, and what are people's opinions on this scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If he hasn't asked finance yet ask for more money!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Happens the whole time.

I was at an interview recently for a 'professional engineer'. Turns out they were building database of potenital employees if an when they got approval. They didnt even have a job spec as it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

If he hasn't asked finance yet ask for more money!!

Haha I don't want to rock the boat, as long as finance don't go below what he offered I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

A classic case of misplaced trust perhaps....when you say "We agreed terms and conditions" was any of this in writing? If not then its your word against his and there is no formal contract in place, hopefully he is decent and things will work out for you.

S

Stanford wrote: »
    A classic case of misplaced trust perhaps....when you say "We agreed terms and conditions" was any of this in writing? If not then its your word against his and there is no formal contract in place, hopefully he is decent and things will work out for you.

S

Nothing in writing, which is what I'm afraid off.
    He's always been straight and upfront, which is why I'm annoyed about this latest development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

He may claim that you were having a discussion and he offered to see if any vacancies were available if you decide to get pushy, he will then blame the Finance guy.

Unless there is a clean offer and a clean acceptance then there is no contract.

Stanford wrote: »
    He may claim that you were having a discussion and he offered to see if any vacancies were available if you decide to get pushy, he will then blame the Finance guy.

Unless there is a clean offer and a clean acceptance then there is no contract.

Yeah I'm aware that if its not in writing, it doesn't exist.
    I suppose my main gripe is that before the tender was submitted, I was included in the submission as an employee, and I thought he would have cleared everything with finance before this stage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Yeah I'm aware that if its not in writing, it doesn't exist.
    I suppose my main gripe is that before the tender was submitted, I was included in the submission as an employee, and I thought he would have cleared everything with finance before this stage

Happens all the time with tenders, sub contactors and resources who will do the work have to have their details submitted.

He actually couldn't have done much more without knowing the contract was won.

Now he can demonstrate to finance that you have a role in the contract and that you are priced in right you should be fine. It may be the pricing is wrong, and he has to negotiate with finance. Or it could be a pure formality

Yea he said the financial controller will be looking at what makes more sense, to employ me direct or sub it out. I've told him I'm not in a position to sub contract, which he is happy enough with, as he would rather have me on his team directly.
    He said my previous experience will be his main point of argument, I'm just really dismayed that my fate is in the hands of someone I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I'm just really dismayed that my fate is in the hands of someone I don't know.

As is often the case in your working life, most people who hire you are general strangers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement