Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTEJr on RTE 2 - cost to RTE ?

Options
  • 27-07-2015 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Somebody said on another thread that the governments refusal to allow adult programs on RTE 2 during the daytime is costing RTE 5 Million per year. is that an accurate figure ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Without RTE Jr, RTE 1+1 and RTE News Now which garner close to zero advertising revenue, RTE would save the cost of the Saorview charges for the two channels. Moreover, 2RN would not need the second mux. The second mux costs about €5m per year. The cost to RTE would be about that, but there would be savings for TV3, UTVi and TG4 - not sure how the savings would be divied out.

If TV3, UTVi and TG4 all went HD on Saorview, the additional cost to each of them would be about €700k. The second mux, which otherwise is nearly empty would be nearly full - and the total cost for the two muxes is a bit less than €12m. The three non RTE broadcasters would be able to go HD on their main channel with an SD channel each for the total cost of €6m, while RTE could squeeze onto mux1, again at a cost of €6m. Currently spare capacity is burnt off with test cards.

I]A mux carries 24mbits, a HD channel uses 6 mbits, with an SD channel using 2.5 mbits. So mux1 could carry 2 HD channels and 4 SD channels or so, with radio channels. Mux2 could carry 3 HD channels and 2 or three (squeezed) SD channels.[/I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

but how much money in advertising per year could RTE 2 be making if it had different programs on from 9am - 2pm ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have no idea, but the problem is more with RTE News Now which has no money to pay for journos to provide a news service so they just repeat RTE News from other channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

isn't it odd that they need ministerial approval to take a few hours of children's programs off rte 2 but all the talk shows could be removed from 2fm without any fuss ?

isn't it odd that they need ministerial approval to take a few hours of children's programs off rte 2 but all the talk shows could be removed from 2fm without any fuss ?

I suspect it is all to do with TV3. TV3 are not on FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And about time.

Advertisement