Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get wood lengths routed

Options
  • 27-07-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have approx. 24m of d-profile deck hand rail that I'm replacing soon.

Its 100mm wide.

I want to have a channel routed out on the underside of each rail approx. 70mm wide and 18mm deep so it will slot nicely above the deck frame it sits on.

Would anyone know if there is anywhere near Naas or Leixlip that could do this for me or would I be better off hiring out a router to do this?

If there was a place that could do it, any idea what this would likely cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

big job for a router and 70mm in 100 leaves not much room for error.
    it more a job for a moulding machine
    A table saw set low down would perhaps be a better job.
    If it was me I would use a wobble saw on a circular saw but they are frowned upon these days by the health and safety mob
    What length are the pieces?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

big job for a router and 70mm in 100 leaves not much room for error.
    it more a job for a moulding machine
    A table saw set low down would perhaps be a better job.
    If it was me I would use a wobble saw on a circular saw but they are frowned upon these days by the health and safety mob
    What length are the pieces?

5 of them about 2.7m and 5 of them about 1.8m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye it can be done handy enough.

Look at my location if it's close enough to you get in touch.

Ye it can be done handy enough.

Look at my location if it's close enough to you get in touch.

any idea what it would cost? My calculations are slightly wrong, the material to be removed is 74mm wide x 10mm deep on approx. 24m length of hand rail

24m in total.

• Advertisement

24m in total.

22.5m to be almost exact

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its a basic spindle moulder routine, and any joinery, kitchen place will be able to do it for you.

Its a 5 minute job to set the rebate block on the spindle, and probably another 5 minutes to invert the
    power feed vertical with the fence, and then 5 minutes max for each length to go through.

I,d be surprised if it took any longer than 30 minutes.

Wobble saw is definitely frowned on, for some strange reason. But works well, but needs a couple of passes,
    and will leave small radius,s on each pass. And is an absolute no,no, in a hand held power saw. Its for a spindle moulder only.

kadman

Good advice there. In theory it is that easy providing cutters are sharp enough for the material an the material is straight enough to go straight through the machine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

And in practice , its simple to boot.

The material has already been through a 5 or 6 cutter moulder, as its a D rail if I recall correctly,
    so its been straightened.

A little bow or bend in it is easily sorted with the proper pressure setups on any spindle moulder.

Piece of cake, it doesn,t get any easier.

Advertisement