Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Phone.. Dual-SIM?

Options
  • 27-07-2015 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

So currently using a Note 4 but thinking about a change this side of Christmas and the rumored Note 5 specs isn't doing it for me so considering looking further afield.

I do love the size of the Note's screen though and like the idea of Dual-SIM support as I'm always carrying 2 handsets (my other one is a Lumia 1320 at the minute!) so thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with these and any suggestions for one that might fit the bill.

- Do they allow both SIMs to work simultaneously?
    - What happens if you're on a call and one comes in on the 2nd SIM?
    - Do current Android versions support Dual-SIMs properly?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hey all,

So currently using a Note 4 but thinking about a change this side of Christmas and the rumored Note 5 specs isn't doing it for me so considering looking further afield.

I do love the size of the Note's screen though and like the idea of Dual-SIM support as I'm always carrying 2 handsets (my other one is a Lumia 1320 at the minute!) so thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with these and any suggestions for one that might fit the bill.

Cheers
    I use an xperia z3 D6633 dual sim. Both sim cards work fine. It's a dual standby phone which means that if you're on a call and receive another call the incoming call is automatically directed to the answering machine. Dual standby also means that only one sim card can be on 3G/LTE while the other is on GSM.

If you need to be able to have two calls at the same time and LTE active on both sims you need to get a dual active phone, but they are not easy to come by and use up battery faster.

Android 5.1.1 is more geared to handle dual sim. But even if your phone is not on 5.1.1 you can get apps that handle dual functions. I use Chomp SMS for dual texting and True Phone for dual calls.

It's great having a dual sim phone. Can't imaging going back to single sim again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I briefly used Dual Sims on ICS about 2 years ago, and it was fine. One was for calls and texts and the other for data so I can't answer the first two questions, but even back then Android handled it fairly well.

Looking at Chinese androids will give you a fairly large selection of devices, I ended up with mine as I liked the price, looks and spec and it just happened to be dual sim, so loads support it.

We've a fairly large thread in them here if you were willing to check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hey all,

Cheers

I have a Moto G dual sim along with one plus. Dual sim works on standby. On that phone you will not get a call if you are on other sim talking. Yes Lollipop does support dual sim.

I will be looking to get a one plus 2 dual sim when I can get an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭SM01

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I have a Moto G dual sim along with one plus. Dual sim works on standby. On that phone you will not get a call if you are on other sim talking. Yes Lollipop does support dual sim.

I will be looking to get a one plus 2 dual sim when I can get an invite.

I've a very similar set of circumstances. I used to carry two phones as I'm living in Scotland at the moment but still use my Irish number (as well as a UK phone). I started using a Moto G dual SIM and didn't look back. Lollipop has slowed that phone down considerably (even after a couple of factory reset / clear cache) so I'm going to move on to the One Plus Two if I can get one easily in 2 or 3 months. After using a dual sim phone I'd be very reluctant to go back to carrying two.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers for the feedback guys.. will check out the phones ye mention, but think the One Plus 2 might fit the bill nicely from a quick look at the specs and pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Im thinking of giving windows phone a go. Coming from a note 4 so looking at a Lumia 640xl lte cos it has the same size screen. It's available as dual sim and is only about €250 sim free so not a huge outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Im thinking of giving windows phone a go. Coming from a note 4 so looking at a Lumia 640xl lte cos it has the same size screen. It's available as dual sim and is only about €250 sim free so not a huge outlay.

I've had a few Windows Phones and if I were you I'd wait for the upcoming 950XL which is pretty much a Note 4 equivalent from a size/hardware perspective. It'll be pricier but it'll come with Win 10 natively and the new Continuum feature which is supposed to let you connect it to a monitor and use it as a full Desktop. Battery life is great on the existing models so I'd imagine that'll continue as the OS runs very efficiently even on low-end hardware.

On the downside, WP still misses several key apps (and pretty much no local apps like banking etc) and the quality of apps isn't as good. How/if Win 10 will change that remains to be seen. It's also a tiny player in the market so 3rd party support from devs is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Just wondering did the OP Kaiser get a dual sim phone and if so which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭bikermartin

i got the smartphone from Aldi last Thursday and i am happy with it. First dual sim phone and not a big outlay. it is working great so far on OS lollipop.:)

Advertisement