Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S4 mini won't turn on

Options
  • 27-07-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I have an S4 mini for the past couple of years and on Saturday it died.
    I tried changing the battery but it still didn't turn on.
    I also tried to do the three button reboot but still nothing.
    I'm not too worried about the actual phone as I'm due an upgrade but I have a lot of notes and things on the calendar that I don't want too lose.
    Have anybody got an suggestions or has this happened to you before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

cocoman wrote: »
    I have an S4 mini for the past couple of years and on Saturday it died.
    I tried changing the battery but it still didn't turn on.
    I also tried to do the three button reboot but still nothing.
    I'm not too worried about the actual phone as I'm due an upgrade but I have a lot of notes and things on the calendar that I don't want too lose.
    Have anybody got an suggestions or has this happened to you before?

If your Calendar was synced with Google, you can access it from your PC/Laptop:

https://www.google.com/calendar/

Have you actually taken the battery out, and left for a few minutes, then re-insert it, and try charging via your wall charger first.

You should see a charging icon, indicating the actual charge level, like so:

8274077.jpg?572

if your charger is OK and battery are OK.

If not, try charging from a USB port on your Laptop, which will charge at a slow, 500mA, rate, so it'll take longer.

If none of the above produce the charging icon on your phone, your battery may be dead, have you checked it's voltage output, as if it is below 3.9V'ish volts approx, it shuts off and your device will not get power, and the battery will also not charge.

I had this myself, with a Chinese phone, and made this little vid as evidence for the Chinese Store, who sent me out a new Battery when they saw the evidence.

I had a voltmeter, and another phone/battery to compare with my faulty phone/battery.
    Video showing a dead battery in my Jiayu 4GS, purchased from Pandawill 6 months ago.

I show the 4GS connected to a wall charger, not charging.

To compare, I show a Huawei phone connected to the same charger charging OK.

Also, I show measurements taken with a digital voltmeter, showing the Jiayu Battery from the 4GS with 0.0V DC.

To compare, I also show the Huawei Battery, showing a normal 3.99V DC.

Pandawill have asked for video evidence showing the dead battery.

This is that evidence.

I suspect you too have a dead Battery, which will not charge, and therefore your phone also is apparently dead.

BTW, mine is fine now, with the new battery supplied by Pandawill.

Some replacement batteries for the S4 mini on adverts here:

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/mobile-phones-accessories/accessories/batteries/1101/q_Battery+s4+mini/

You could also check on Ali Express, or Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Thanks irishpancake.

I tried a different battery and no luck - no charging icon either.
    I called into a repair shop earlier and he reckons it's sudden phone death which doesn't sound good.
    The phone is just under two years old so Samsung said they will repair it.
    Hopefully I won't lose everything but I'm not too confident of this.
    I hadn't synced the calendar with google either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Sorry to hear, but it was worth asking.

You are sure the battery you tried is OK?

And the charger you are using?

You have tried a USB slot too?

On your warranty, there is an EU warranty, 2 years, which is legally enforceable in the EU, and which stipulates that major Hardware faults must be repaired or replaced or refunded free of charge.

See here:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

Free of charge, two-year guarantee (legal guarantee)

Whether you bought the goods in a shop or online, under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum two-year guarantee period at no cost.

This 2-year guarantee is only your minimum right and national rules in your country may give you extra protection. Remember that any deviation from EU rules must always be to the consumer's benefit.

If an item you bought anywhere in the EU turns out to be faulty or does not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace it free of charge or give you a full refund or reduction in price. In some EU countries you will be offered the choice between all four remedies from the outset. Otherwise you will be able to ask for a full or partial refund only when it is not possible or convenient to repair or replace the item.

And bear in mind that you might not be entitled to a refund if the problem is minor, such as a scratch on a CD case.

The two-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee.

Within six months from receipt of the goods, you just need to show the trader that they are faulty or not as advertised. But, after six months in most EU countries you also need to prove yourself that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods, for example, by showing that the defect is due to the poor quality of materials used.

The trader is always liable for remedying the defect and in some EU countries you also have the right to request a remedy from the producer.

Advertisement