Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish La Liga TV rights from 2015 onwards?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Still to be awarded. Unconfirmed reports suggest that there may be a second round of bidding. Ultimately I imagine Sky will retain though if it has gone to a second round it means BT have put in a good offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

A feather in the cap for BT if they get these. 4 out of 5 of the top leagues in Europe with exclusive live coverage would be attractive plus the EPL matches they have the rights for. Sky will fight fiercely for them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sky Sports surrender La Liga rights to BT Sport after massive £11m overspend
    A further sign that Sky Sports massively overspent in paying £11million a match for their Premier League coverage is the fact they ceded the Spanish football contract to arch-rivals BT Sport without a fight.

It is understood that Sky made a far bigger first-round offer for La Liga, but were upset enough about the tender going to a second round that they withdrew from a contest BT believed they had no chance of winning.

With Spanish clubs Barcelona and Real Madrid being such big TV attractions in the English market, cost-cutting after that PL gamble can be the only reason for Sky’s surrender.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3182167/Sky-Sports-surrender-La-Liga-rights-leaving-door-open-pouncing-BT.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I didn't see that coming - Sky Sports News HQ must be in a right panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I didn't see that coming - Sky Sports News HQ must be in a right panic!

Nah....

If it isn't on Sky, the sport doesn't exist.
    Their rolling infomercial will erase its existence from their memories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky Sports 5 now being promo-d as "your home of the Sky Bet Championship" during GAA. I reckon that's a big indication that the Primera Division is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

A strange one for sky to let go. They were apparently only paying 10 million a year so even at say 30 million a year its peanuts to let go. BT can't be paying any more than that for good prime time Sunday rights for LA liga.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A strange one for sky to let go. They were apparently only paying 10 million a year so even at say 30 million a year its peanuts to let go. BT can't be paying any more than that for good prime time Sunday rights for LA liga.

10 million ,is that all ,thats peanuts.
    They will be paying £11m per Premier league match next season under the new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The Mail have somewhat rolled back from their headlines on Saturday, now describing the La Liga rights as still being up in the air.

The original article did look strange, whilst its possible for Sky to lose the rights, its very hard to see them losing the rights in such a comically inept fashion. I'm guessing they understood the intricacies of the bidding terms better than the Mail did.
    I'd be still confident that Sky will end up retaining La Liga.

Apparently according to broadcast bt are in the final stages of signing it's for the next 3 years. It looks like a done deal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Apparently according to broadcast bt are in the final stages of signing it's for the next 3 years. It looks like a done deal....

Any source for that? I'm thinking of adding the Setanta pack on UPC and I'm waiting with interest to see what happens with La Liga.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sky will look to increase their prices next year for there Sports packages despite the loss of La Liga.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

mikeym wrote: »
    Sky will look to increase their prices next year for there Sports packages despite the loss of La Liga.

Of course they will now they will be showing the best league in the world. :eek: Eredivisie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

sky pulled out of bt so it looks like owen hargreaves and steve mcmanaman will be our new la liga comentators... hopefully they can get in new commentators loved terry gibson and those guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Of course they will now they will be showing the best league in the world. :eek: Eredivisie :P

They might actually show it now. Their coverage was patchy at best.

Any source for that? I'm thinking of adding the Setanta pack on UPC and I'm waiting with interest to see what happens with La Liga.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/bt-sport-on-brink-of-la-liga-deal/5091185.article

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭irishdeej

SKY keep La Liga. 100 games per season!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The original article did look strange, whilst its possible for Sky to lose the rights, its very hard to see them losing the rights in such a comically inept fashion. I'm guessing they understood the intricacies of the bidding terms better than the Mail did.
    I'd be still confident that Sky will end up retaining La Liga.

Boom. :)

Boom. :)

well done. You were spot on!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Good news ! They have a good crew covering La Liga. Happy its continuing on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Sky having a Monopoly was actually good for Sports Fan, as stupid as that sounds.

Now to watch the same amount of sport fans need to pay two subscriptions rather than one.

Competition doesn't reduce prices in this area, it just pushes the cost of the rights up because of the competition, which translates to higher viewer costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Sky having a Monopoly was actually good for Sports Fan, as stupid as that sounds.

Now to watch the same amount of sport fans need to pay two subscriptions rather than one.

Competition doesn't reduce prices in this area, it just pushes the cost of the rights up because of the competition, which translates to higher viewer costs.

I'd much rather the monopoly was held by someone who doesn't insist on the viewer subscribing to 100's of channels showing nothing before you can even consider having their sports channels.

Advertisement