Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dag (Sky Arts)

Options
  • 27-07-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭

Starting Friday 9PM:
    Norwegian comedy, starring award-winning stand-up Atle Antonsen as a reclusive marriage counsellor who tries to coax all the couples he treats into divorce. With a firm belief that people should live in solitude, Dag hates spending time with other people. However, his peaceful existence is about to change. In Norwegian.
    A Norwegian sitcom? I'll give it a go and report back. These Scandinavians rarely do things the easy way ...

Who is Atle Antonsen? Here he is describing in English, the problems he had as a Norwegian trying to speak Danish:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Norwegian comedy is generally brilliant (well, I guess the bad stuff just gets suppressed). Must give this a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After two episodes, well ... "dark comedy" doesn't begin to describe it. Dag's a relationship counsellor who tells all his clients to break up. He has a friend, Benedikt, who breaks up with his girlfriend while she's in the process of giving birth to his kid, and ends up sleeping in Dag's entrance hall because her Serbian family want his head on a pike. Why the hallway? Because Dag will not let anyone else in to his apartment: not Benedikt, nor Dag's sister, not even her attractive friend Eva who seems to be attracted to his quirks. By the end of the second episode, Eva persuades Dag in to seeing the therapist his sister recommend, the therapist tries to put him in touch with his feelings; by the end of the session he's
    thrown her small dog out the window
    . :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Two episodes in and I am loving this. It's quirky, thought provoking and extremely funny. I just stumbled across it and feel rather lucky to have done so!

Is anyone watching this? I love it. Had to source the second series as I ran out of episodes far too quickly.

I am absolutely loving it too. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the best pieces of black comedy/art I've ever seen on TV. We are following it on Sky Arts, so two episodes every Friday.

Anyone stumbling into this thread, do yourselves a favour and find a way to watch this series! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1711386/?ref_=nv_sr_2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Note to any folks DVR-ing this: Season 1 ends after Ep. 10, and Sky Arts are going straight in to Season 2 on Sat 5 September.

There's some good news:
    the dog survived

Season 4 will be shown as a five hour marathon in Norway next month. Anyone on for a trip over? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I discovered this today quite by chance when I was browsing Catch Up on Sky On Demand. I'd never even heard of it. Norwegian black comedy? Yes please. So I started watching it. 8 episodes in to Season 1 now. This is brilliant stuff, I am absolutely loving it.

The sub-titling is absolutely awful in Season Two.

Any sign of season 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Back next Wednesday on Sky Arts :)

Woohoo!

s.welstead wrote: »
    Back next Wednesday on Sky Arts :)
    Thanks for the heads up! Wednesday night 11 pm, 2 episodes back to back. Woohoo indeed!

Bump.

I noticed a film called Annihilation has turned up on Netflix, it's been on the list of films to watch. Then I noticed that Tuva Novotny is in it, so I thought I'd shamelessly bump this thread. It'd be worth it if it resulted in even one person checking out Dag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

i watched a season of this and it was great - recorded lots more but never got round to watching them

Will do though

Advertisement