Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated Builds / Releases

Options
  • 27-07-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

So i've been working with Maven, Jenkins and Nexus to setup an automated build process.

I'm pretty comfortable with Maven and deploying / releasing (Release Plugin) to Nexus.

My issues are more with Jenkins, while I know how it works and could probably setup something that might work, I would prefer to get informed on the industry best practices (workflows) that generally apply.

Would anybody be able to recommend a book on this topic please or some interesting web articles perhaps.

More specifically, i'm looking for a book that explains how these systems should be configured and our team should use.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I've worked with several large and small companies and all have used jenkins and all have used them in completely opposite ways. I've come to the conclusion there is no proper way to do it. It depends on your company, what your aims are with the product etc.

At the very least in my opinion Jenkins should be

- Packaging and building the app,
    - Fetching dependencies
    - Punning all unit tests on pushing to the repo
    - This also includes possibly creating a testing DB from a trusted schema or dump etc.
    - Successful builds are either put onto the dev environment automatically or staged ready to be deployed.
    - Notifying users of failures.

Maybe depending on the scale of testing and the length etc (Like Automated UI testing can sometimes take hours to run) the longer tests can be set to run a few times a day or at night etc.

I'm sure there are lots more, this is just of the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SonicWind

https:// drive.google.com/file/d/0B7t7CjZ1hI0rc25DeFR3MzU0MFU/view?usp=sharing

I use Jenkins Quite a lot in my workplace,
    depending on what workflow you want,
    there are plenty of plugins and methods,

feel free to pm me if you want advice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My 2c is that from a recent project that scaling up build/integration is an issue. From a fairly simple build cycle involving Java and ant, dealing with dependencies and continuous builds with maven and Jenkins was a steep and ongoing learning curve. O'Reilly press provide some good background books and for the very basics Introducing Maven by Apress a good starter text.

Advertisement