Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lollipop (Android 5.0) killed my Galaxy Core Prime LTE !

Options
  • 27-07-2015 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Ok killed may to too strong a word but really reduced it's performance and usability certainly.

I got the Core Prime in Feb on Vodafone Pay as you go for E100, a perfect phone and a perfect price for my kind of usage and budget.

It was great until I did the OTA update to Lollipop (5.0) last week.

Since then it has been terrible from a perporamnce POV, apps taking for ever to open, numerous 'App not responding" errors, it's a mess and barely usable at this stage.
    And the problem is as much with sinple apps like the phone dialler, sms and contact list as much as it is with the likes of Chrome, Facebook etc.

Now this is my main question.
    Does it matter what version of Android is on the phone when I try to root it ?
    Do the tutorials and instructions out there that show show to root a Core Prime KitKat phone work the same way with a Core Prime Lollipop phone
    I am a bit cautious to proceed in case I turn it into a brick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Some root exploits will work on Lollipop some won't. best way is to try and see or see if someone has mentioned it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ste- wrote: »
    Some root exploits will work on Lollipop some won't. best way is to try and see or see if someone has mentioned it before.

If you're looking to root it as a way towards improving performance by downgrading back to KitKat, I suggest doing a factory reset first to see if that will help. It's generally a good first move with any device that's misbehaving after an update, and particularly an update to Lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

corwill wrote: »
    If you're looking to root it as a way towards improving performance by downgrading back to KitKat, I suggest doing a factory reset first to see if that will help. It's generally a good first move with any device that's misbehaving after an update, and particularly an update to Lollipop.

That's a good idea.
    I had ignored it up to this point as I believe a reset would not restore KitKat, but it may resolve performance problems as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

It was great until I did the OTA update to Lollipop (5.0) last week.

Since then it has been terrible from a perporamnce POV, apps taking for ever to open, numerous 'App not responding" errors, it's a mess and barely usable at this stage.
    And the problem is as much with sinple apps like the phone dialler, sms and contact list as much as it is with the likes of Chrome, Facebook etc.

Now this is my main question.
    Does it matter what version of Android is on the phone when I try to root it ?
    Android changed from having apps compiled via JIT with Dalvik under Kitkat to being pre-compiled with ART under Lollipop. For me, it was a no-brainer to do a factory reset, or physically re-install all my apps again so that they are properly optimized for ART.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Don't forget:
    Lolipop uses ART (Android RunTime) instead of Dalvik.
    What does this mean?
    Well, Dalvik used to cache on a per use basis: The first boot of a newly installed app would take longer than on ART. This means that the OS caches only what the user used throught the day, and when turning off, the delay seen is actually the cache deleting itself, making itself fresh for the next boot. Dalvik achieved this by not uncompiling only the parts it needed, so as to save physical memory.
    ART however, compiles memory it needed before the app is even launched, making an almost permanent cache for every app. This boosts the responsiveness of multi-tasking, allows the cpu to not load out and drain battery, and can eventually delete some cache on unused apps, and prioritize others.
    ART will be the future, but jumping from Dalvik to ART is noticeable. Many apps such as Facebook, Twitter and Messenger are optimised for Dalvik more than ART to my knowledge, whereas only Google apps are truly optimised for performance.

Try a reset, and go straight upto Lolipop again without installing apps. See how that goes, and if all goes well, add back all your apps in Lolipop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Android changed from having apps compiled via JIT with Dalvik under Kitkat to being pre-compiled with ART under Lollipop. For me, it was a no-brainer to do a factory reset, or physically re-install all my apps again so that they are properly optimized for ART.

You could optionally switch to ART in KK 4.4, in developer options.

When you did, all apps were optimised after a mandatory re-boot.

You could also switch back to Dalvik, which sometimes was best, as not all apps were optimised for ART.

It was not available on all models, but on most of the leading devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thanks for all the help on this.

I factory reset the phone then installed all my apps again and on the face of it it seems to be running much better.

Advertisement