Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archery Newbie

Options
  • 26-07-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

hi guys. looking to get into archery, im thinking of buying a bow tomorrow.

http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/KAP_-_Pro-Style_-_Kit__1_607.html#.VbU73vlViko

i need to know what handed bow i need. im left handed but the stance that seems natural to me is pulling back with my left hand while holding the bow with my right..is that a left handed bow or right?

what do you think of the kit above? i dont have loads to be spending on a fancy bow etc so the price suites me well.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The best route into archery is through a beginners course which will teach you technique and safety. While archery seems simple, it is not. You need to shoot, according to your eye dominance, a poundage that you can cope with and use arrows to match your draw length and weight held on your fingers.
    Your money would be best spent on the course. The club may well allow you to use their equipment for a while if you join them afterwards. The style of bow you end up with may well not be as you expected.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

By the way, those Secura arrows need to be shot carefully as they are not the more robust arrows around and could be dangerous if shot damaged.

Something you would learn about at a beginners course. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

A beginners course seems to be well recommended!

I'm not sure if I want to join a club yet or just have casual fun out my back garden. I'm going to do a course eventually though seems interesting and the whole sport has alot more to it than meets yte eye. 3 days ago I knew very little..I feel I've learned alot since but a course would be vital

I'm I kimmage. I THINK there is a club near tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

On the bow listed the screw-in takedown limbs become annoying very quickly.

Greenhills club is in tallaght and Ashbourne arches are signing up for a beginners course at present.

Lookup both on FB.

Really,do the beginners course before you buy. All equipment is supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

Your three closest clubs are Greenhills Archers in Tallaght beside the Basketball arena who shoot on a Wednesday night, Liffey Archers in Kings Hospital School in Palmerstown who shoot on a Monday night and Dundrum Archers who shoot is Naomh Olaf GAA Club in Sandyford who shoot on a Thursday night.

Dundrum Archers have 2 places left on their next beginners course starting on the 3rd September. Send me an email info@dundrumarchers.com and if you would like details

• Advertisement
Advertisement