Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's an ID Question

Options
  • 26-07-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi , I found this Birds Skull last year and have been trying to identify it for a while now , I think it might be a Bird if Prey given the size of the eye sockets and the Curved and pointed beak. It is very Small , not much bigger than your thumb nail( without the Beak ), so was probably only a chick when it died. I found the Skull on a Rock on the side of a quarry so again pointing possibly to a B.O.P. I dont know if anyone will be able to identify it , but here is a picture of it ....

356390.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Can you post a pic of it beside a €1 coin to give an idea of scale? Don't think it's any type of Falcon 'cause it's missing the notch, the tomial tooth. Beak is too long for a Sparrowhawk! Are the 'ear holes' at the same level on either side, could be a an owl but at the size you say I would be doubtful......Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

It looks like an owlet's skull to me. The beak shape, and huge eye socket is especially telling. I found the skeletal remains of a long eared owl once and this skull is very similar though far smaller by your account

Advertisement