Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

IRD

Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ Lemsiper

So my girlfriend and I are moving to Auckland in September. We both would rather get jobs before finding a place to live for obvious reasons.

I've read that you can't apply for an IRD number without a permanent address. Is this completely accurate or are there ways around it?

Comments

• When we applied for our ird number we had just arrived and had booked a place on airbnb to stay in for a month. We got the owner of the property to write a letter to say we're currently residing there.
    When we got our new place we changed the address.
    I don't know if hostels would do the same though if you're long term there?

• Crow92 wrote: »
    When we applied for our ird number we had just arrived and had booked a place on airbnb to stay in for a month. We got the owner of the property to write a letter to say we're currently residing there.
    When we got our new place we changed the address.
    I don't know if hostels would do the same though if you're long term there?

Yeah we figured we might have to get somebody to do something similar to what what done for you.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for a month? Or even if you could PM the airbnb details that'd be great.

• Lemsiper wrote: »
    Yeah we figured we might have to get somebody to do something similar to what what done for you.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for a month? Or even if you could PM the airbnb details that'd be great.

We paid about 1600 for the month which rent wise is expensive and a hostel should be cheaper than that in general, but airbnb is obv. A holiday home type. Set-up

But we actually live in Wellington, not Auckland so can't help you on the accommodation side of things. Except to say don't stay at the YHA international Auckland. The facilities are good but the beds in the dorms are pure ****e and very squeaky.

(Also id recommend Wellington over Auckland to live in)

• Hi, sorry to piggy-back on this old post! I'm moving to Wellington next month, and had planned to find a place to live first and then try to find work, just as I'm worried about spending a fortune on hostels/airbnbs. Just wondering how did you find trying to find a job first and then a place to live? Was it easy to find somewhere to live? And any recommendations for areas? Any other tips would also be appreciated!! Thanks for any help!! :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement