Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRD

Options
  • 26-07-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

So my girlfriend and I are moving to Auckland in September. We both would rather get jobs before finding a place to live for obvious reasons.

I've read that you can't apply for an IRD number without a permanent address. Is this completely accurate or are there ways around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

When we applied for our ird number we had just arrived and had booked a place on airbnb to stay in for a month. We got the owner of the property to write a letter to say we're currently residing there.
    When we got our new place we changed the address.
    I don't know if hostels would do the same though if you're long term there?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Crow92 wrote: »
    When we applied for our ird number we had just arrived and had booked a place on airbnb to stay in for a month. We got the owner of the property to write a letter to say we're currently residing there.
    When we got our new place we changed the address.
    I don't know if hostels would do the same though if you're long term there?

Yeah we figured we might have to get somebody to do something similar to what what done for you.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for a month? Or even if you could PM the airbnb details that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Yeah we figured we might have to get somebody to do something similar to what what done for you.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for a month? Or even if you could PM the airbnb details that'd be great.

We paid about 1600 for the month which rent wise is expensive and a hostel should be cheaper than that in general, but airbnb is obv. A holiday home type. Set-up

But we actually live in Wellington, not Auckland so can't help you on the accommodation side of things. Except to say don't stay at the YHA international Auckland. The facilities are good but the beds in the dorms are pure ****e and very squeaky.

(Also id recommend Wellington over Auckland to live in)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Finapple

Hi, sorry to piggy-back on this old post! I'm moving to Wellington next month, and had planned to find a place to live first and then try to find work, just as I'm worried about spending a fortune on hostels/airbnbs. Just wondering how did you find trying to find a job first and then a place to live? Was it easy to find somewhere to live? And any recommendations for areas? Any other tips would also be appreciated!! Thanks for any help!! :)

Advertisement