Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job hunting advise

Options
  • 26-07-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

So ill try be as short as possible! Basically I am on the job hunt after a year out( family bereavement lead to me having to run a farm,) however I have zero accounting experience.... I have completed cap 2 tax and audit in 2014 and waiting on results for sofa and fr from the june sitting.

I am now looking at focusing on myself and getting my life/career back on track, however i have gotten no where... I have being just focusing on jobs locally, i.e. not dublin as id prefer to avoid dublin and also for ease of being somewhat close to my mother( will be on her own once i do get a job)

I am planning on going into some local accounting practises in person and hoping that this would aid in my search. but I'm am not really sure if I'm making a mistake(being too pushy) or does it show initiative?

has anyone else every done the personal call into an office with a cv in hand? or is it very blunt? advice i have gotten is its worth a shot, but would love to know show i arrange a meeting first or just show up and take it from there, going in with of an attitude that I can start tomorrow, and that I'm ready to work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Discuss with recruiters I am afraid - a lot of jobs are going through recruiters. The cost of a bad hire, and the hassle, the time, the lack of in house recruiting skills and all that jazz, it just makes sense to put a number on it and get a good recruiter to find you a guy. It also somewhat ties them in if that person turns out to be useless. For my part, I certainly would not pay them their fee if a hire just jumped after 4-6 weeks, I'd be back to them to get another guy for me. Have crossed swords with a few of them on this basis.

Net result - recruiter is the option of a lot of the smaller practices and firms etc. These recruiters also have quality networks and strong relationships. And networking is key in this game.

Some action points I would suggest:

1. Get speaking to recruiters, feel them out
    2. Tell everyone in your network you are looking for a job and if they hear anything to let you know. You'd be amazed.
    3. Get out and start networking, meet people. I went to a lot of seminars, functions, events and sh!t like that to get talking to people, let them know who I am, put a face to the name and try get some work into the office. People like to talk about themselves a lot so take an interest in their business and what matters to them.
    4. Target jobs on irishjobs.ie (I'll pm you a tip here, but keep it between you and I)
    5. For local firms, try find out how you know someone in there, and use that route to find out who the decision maker is. If you could tag along to lunch with them, do this, bigtime. Keep it casual.

Thereafter, find out about the business, and aim to pitch yourself on the tools you learned in SFMA (SWOT, PESTEL) - in other words, you understand their business and where would you fit in, what can you do for them. At this point, give them your CV and a very short email saying that if the opportunity arose, you'd be interested in talking to them. One of the key advantages here is you have already met them for lunch, they'll know and you'll know if ye 'warm' to each other. After that point, you have put it on the plate how you will add value. If a position arises, you are on the brain as a candidate.

The key here is that you speak to the decision maker or as close to them as you can. The biggest barriers in getting a job are 'Can I work with this man, can he do the job, and can he do the job long term, or will he just f-off in no time'. For me I'd want a guy who has brains, enthusiasm, and is a good cultural fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

myshirt wrote: »
    Discuss with recruiters I am afraid - a lot of jobs are going through recruiters. The cost of a bad hire, and the hassle, the time, the lack of in house recruiting skills and all that jazz, it just makes sense to put a number on it and get a good recruiter to find you a guy. It also somewhat ties them in if that person turns out to be useless. For my part, I certainly would not pay them their fee if a hire just jumped after 4-6 weeks, I'd be back to them to get another guy for me. Have crossed swords with a few of them on this basis.

Net result - recruiter is the option of a lot of the smaller practices and firms etc. These recruiters also have quality networks and strong relationships. And networking is key in this game.

Some action points I would suggest:

1. Get speaking to recruiters, feel them out
    2. Tell everyone in your network you are looking for a job and if they hear anything to let you know. You'd be amazed.
    3. Get out and start networking, meet people. I went to a lot of seminars, functions, events and sh!t like that to get talking to people, let them know who I am, put a face to the name and try get some work into the office. People like to talk about themselves a lot so take an interest in their business and what matters to them.
    4. Target jobs on irishjobs.ie (I'll pm you a tip here, but keep it between you and I)
    5. For local firms, try find out how you know someone in there, and use that route to find out who the decision maker is. If you could tag along to lunch with them, do this, bigtime. Keep it casual.

Thereafter, find out about the business, and aim to pitch yourself on the tools you learned in SFMA (SWOT, PESTEL) - in other words, you understand their business and where would you fit in, what can you do for them. At this point, give them your CV and a very short email saying that if the opportunity arose, you'd be interested in talking to them. One of the key advantages here is you have already met them for lunch, they'll know and you'll know if ye 'warm' to each other. After that point, you have put it on the plate how you will add value. If a position arises, you are on the brain as a candidate.

The key here is that you speak to the decision maker or as close to them as you can. The biggest barriers in getting a job are 'Can I work with this man, can he do the job, and can he do the job long term, or will he just f-off in no time'. For me I'd want a guy who has brains, enthusiasm, and is a good cultural fit.

thanks so much! that was all excellent advise! If you could pm me that would be great! thanks again!

In regards to i guess getting my foot in the door, would offering to do a short internship be seen as push? Networking is my strongest suit, so i guess I'm just trying to enhance that by showing my commitment through free work i guess and the experience. would that sound like a good plan of action or not really lead anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I wouldn't 'cheapen the product'. You are a part-qualified accountant. I would focus more on the value of what you can bring. An employer looking for free labour is not what you want in the long term. That is my view anyway.

Judge it as you go I suppose. But if you are going to concede anything, make sure you ask for something else in return. Low pay or no pay in my view is only justifiable where they will give you high quality training or exposure. In that case, get in there, get what you can out of it, and get out. That is generally the deal anyway, employers understand that. But you are part-qualified, I don't know should you be working for free. Someone better able than me might offer a view on a route back? There are chaps here on boards who have great knowledge in this arena.

Advertisement