Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

createspace.com - worthwhile?

Options
  • 26-07-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Does anyone know anyone who has tried their hand at createspace.com? Is it worthwhile? I'm not too sure how one can get publicity from this. Cheers, Coburg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You can't. Creataspace is a way to do print-on-demand, so that you can offer a book for sale without having to go to the expense of printing out a few hundred copies first.

It means that you can tell people about your book, and if they want to buy it, they can get a print copy sent to them.

The publicity you'll have to do yourself, and it's hard work.

Lulu does a similar thing for self-published authors. The CEO of Lulu is on record as saying that the average print sales for one of their books is 50. In other words, friends and family.

To be honest, if you have a good self-pub, I could concentrate on e-book sales. Put it up on Amazon, iTunes, Smashwords (they distribute to the smaller e-sellers) and promote like mad there.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Coburger wrote: »
    Does anyone know anyone who has tried their hand at createspace.com? Is it worthwhile? I'm not too sure how one can get publicity from this. Cheers, Coburg

Well I got two books on there, but it's like tumbleweed most days. You need to get a good book cover too which is more difficult than a Kindle cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

EileenG wrote: »
    You can't. Creataspace is a way to do print-on-demand, so that you can offer a book for sale without having to go to the expense of printing out a few hundred copies first.

It means that you can tell people about your book, and if they want to buy it, they can get a print copy sent to them.

The publicity you'll have to do yourself, and it's hard work.

Lulu does a similar thing for self-published authors. The CEO of Lulu is on record as saying that the average print sales for one of their books is 50. In other words, friends and family.

To be honest, if you have a good self-pub, I could concentrate on e-book sales. Put it up on Amazon, iTunes, Smashwords (they distribute to the smaller e-sellers) and promote like mad there.

Itunes? That's for music only AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭maccored

books as well - https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/books/id38?mt=11 (part of ibooks I'd assume)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

you can get iTunes etc. using Draft2Digital.com

As for Createspace - I have 2 books on it and am coming close to the $100 threshold for payment (after almost a year (!))

BUT - I don't use Createspace with the expectation of making money from it. It's an easy enough process to upload a book to it - and if you charge a few dollars more than your Kindle, people don't view you so much as an Indie and are more likely to impulsively go for the cheaper (Kindle) option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

iTunes is handy in that it's easy to put something up, and because it's a relatively small market for books, it's not that difficult to get to the best-seller list, so you can legitimately call the book a best-seller.

Advertisement