Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda patrol car in north of ireland

Options
  • 25-07-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Today for the first time ever i met a garda car in the north of ireland. I have lived in a border town my whole life and never seen this before. It was about 2 miles across the border into the north. Is this a normal thing for the garda? Or would it be driver error, maybe someone who wasnt aware he crossed the border. It was a backroad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Completely unintentional. I'd say it's often that PSNI and AGS vehicles accidentally cross the border.

Could you expect otherwise? A lot of those rural roads lack a defined marker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Sure here's the boys havin a great day in Lifford!
    A nice excursion for them

Happens the best of us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What's the story with when a PSV wants to travel from Cavan to Clones. Can it use the N54/A3 or must it find an alternative route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I'd guess unintentional too. Backroads are frequently used by Northern Irish taxi drivers to transport immigrants over the border to the south. Big checkpoint on a road outside Dundalk last week. Probably more for show than substance as Newry taxi drivers would be very familiar with all side roads over the border.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/border-control-31393250.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

flazio wrote: »
    What's the story with when a PSV wants to travel from Cavan to Clones. Can it use the N54/A3 or must it find an alternative route?

Funny you should mention that, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

I don't know what the situation is now, but about ten years ago I happened to be driving that road after there had been am accident ahead. The accident occurred on one of the shorter stretches where the road is in the north. (For anyone unfamiliar with this road it is pretty clear that you have crossed the border as the road marking change).

When I passed the accident spot there were Garda vehicles at either side of this stretch of road on the Republic side controlling traffic. As I passed the actual crash I could see PSNI officers walking through fields towards the scene of the crash with maps in hand, their vehicles were visible in the distance parked on a boreen.

The only time I have ever seen uniformed PSNI members and vehicles in the Republic was when they were accompanying a Special Olympics torch relay event in Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

'PSNI' Land Rover replica police vehicle turning heads in Dublin.....

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/replica-police-vehicle-turning-heads-in-dublin-31437740.html

Another time foreign police vehicles were used was the Tour de France in Ireland in 98. The Gendarmerie Nationale and Gardai worked together :cool:

Capri wrote: »
    'PSNI' Land Rover replica police vehicle turning heads in Dublin.....

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/replica-police-vehicle-turning-heads-in-dublin-31437740.html

Another time foreign police vehicles were used was the Tour de France in Ireland in 98. The Gendarmerie Nationale and Gardai worked together :cool:

Shouldn't that be the only time?

And well done to that security company getting free publicity in the national newspapers website. I did see that on twitter a couple of weeks back on a mule that I follow.

Advertisement