Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learners permit

Options
  • 25-07-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I passed my theory test. I know I have to go to the ndls centre with my forms and all that but does anyone know do I need an eye test ?
    I don't wear glasses never had, so do I need one for this ?
    It says on the form 'an eyesight report is not needed when a medical report is provided by the doctor' so what do I do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you answer yes to any of the driver fitness questions on the application form then you will have to provide a D501 medical report which incorporates eyesight.

If you answer no to all the fitness questions, then you won't need to submit a D501 medical report but you will, as a first time learner permit applicant, need to submit a D502 eyesight report available from any optician, regardless of whether you need corrective lenses or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you answer yes to any of the driver fitness questions on the application form then you will have to provide a D501 medical report which incorporates eyesight.

If you answer no to all the fitness questions, then you won't need to submit a D501 medical report but you will, as a first time learner permit applicant, need to submit a D502 eyesight report available from any optician, regardless of whether you need corrective lenses or not.

It's for a car license. Do I need to bring the form to get the eye test done ?
    Can I get it done in specs avers - do they give u whatever u need or do u bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

It's for a car license. Do I need to bring the form to get the eye test done ?
    Can I get it done in specs avers - do they give u whatever u need or do u bring

Yeah just go into Specsavers and tell them you need an eyesight test for the driving license. They will have the form there. I think it cost 10 or 15 euro.

Yeah just go into Specsavers and tell them you need an eyesight test for the driving license. They will have the form there. I think it cost 10 or 15 euro.

Perfect thank you

Have u had the test ? Do uni what it entails ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I have mine tomorrow in Specsavers so I can confirm more tomorrow but when I was speaking to the lady, it sounded similar to a regular eye test to me.

I have mine tomorrow in Specsavers so I can confirm more tomorrow but when I was speaking to the lady, it sounded similar to a regular eye test to me.

Ahh okay, I'm only 17 so I've only had one when I was younger so not too familiar:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's very straight forward. They ask you to read a chart, then they prop your chin on a chin rest and test your vision...thru both eyes first, then with one eye at a time. They also test your peripheral vision by telling you to look ahead and confirming that you can or can not see red and green dots off to the side. From memory, that is a bit more indepth than when they do it during a standard eye test for glasses or contacts. When the test is over, they'll hand you a print out of the results and that is the form that you bring with you to the NDLS centre.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's very straight forward. They ask you to read a chart, then they prop your chin on a chin rest and test your vision...thru both eyes first, then with one eye at a time. They also test your peripheral vision by telling you to look ahead and confirming that you can or can not see red and green dots off to the side. From memory, that is a bit more indepth than when they do it during a standard eye test for glasses or contacts. When the test is over, they'll hand you a print out of the results and that is the form that you bring with you to the NDLS centre.

Hi, yes I actually did mine today. Test was Good got my form. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 realquickstone

Can I use the actual prescription for my glasses instead of the D502?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can I use the actual prescription for my glasses instead of the D502?

Definitely not. It simply must be either D501 NDLS medical report or a D502 NDLS eyesight report. Nothing else will do. This is of course assuming that you need an eyesight report in the first place, eg, you're looking for a first time learner permit.

Advertisement