Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prep. English Essays

Options
  • 24-07-2015 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Whenever you were going into the English exam, what sort of essays did you have prepared in your head? Like in terms of character, imagery etc. I'd just like to get some of that covered this summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Consonata wrote: »
    Whenever you were going into the English exam, what sort of essays did you have prepared in your head? Like in terms of character, imagery etc. I'd just like to get some of that covered this summer.

Essays.. yes, just one. Literally did just one essay all year, and was lucky enough it came up under a correct context in the exam. Mind you this was the same one that I prepared for and used during the Mocks.. Sure I had to adapt it a bit, but I had it learned off-by-heart so it was easy.

You won't ever write up an essay that's going to come up exactly in the same context in the exam. Just write 2-3 general essays that you can adapt in the future and know very well.. For example my one was about WW2 alternate-history, and the essay that came up in the LC this year was about a character transformed by a daunting challenge.

I'd say write one which is set in the past, like war/no technology kind, one in the present, and one in the future. Keep characters limited up to 3-4, make sure you describe them well, make them life-like ie. give nick names, etc.

Also, why not practice writing personal essays? Article? Speech? You have time now, so why not see how you like them? Maybe you'll find writing speeches easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Just make sure that its your actual essay - students who have copied essays are penalised. I did a speech for mine and was quite nice. Lots of flexibility and most times they know that its not pre learned. Good luck :)

Advertisement