Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which coding language would I need to do this?

Options
  • 24-07-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

I have a website made up and running for a business. I want a page for writing up invoices and sending them to customers.

So,what I am thinking is a page that the employees can go to (possibly thorugh a simple login), where they can enter data in a number of fields that ultimately produces a pdf that is automatically sent to both the customer and our own accounts email addresses.

What would be the best (easiest?) language to programme this in?

(The website so far is pure HTML/CSS, which I am fine with. I am currently trying to learn Java on codeacademy, but I want to make sure if Java is the right langauge for this, or if I'm better off looking at something else)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

You're going to need something with a database back-end, so I would suggest learning PHP and mySQL or equivalent. There are various off the shelf products you could use that are either opensource ore relatively cheap.

I've used programs like simple invoices in the past, it's opensource, relatively easy to setup etc..

If it's a case that you want to write your own from scratch, have a look at how others do it, simple invoices for example. See how they've built it, how they structure their databases, will give you ideas and possibly answers on how to do X.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I am currently trying to learn Java on codeacademy, but I want to make sure if Java is the right langauge for this, or if I'm better off looking at something else)

It's fantastic to see someone thats interested in learning to code and definitely something I'd wholeheartedly encourage.

Without wishing to come across as a negative-nelly, I'd strongly recommend you use something other than your customers financial data to practice on.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

php would be the easiest way

pdf is supported out of the box, you would need to learn how to handle form submission (quite easy), if you don't want to store the data for future references you'd get away with not using database

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    You're going to need something with a database back-end, so I would suggest learning PHP and mySQL or equivalent. There are various off the shelf products you could use that are either opensource ore relatively cheap.

I've used programs like simple invoices in the past, it's opensource, relatively easy to setup etc..

If it's a case that you want to write your own from scratch, have a look at how others do it, simple invoices for example. See how they've built it, how they structure their databases, will give you ideas and possibly answers on how to do X.
    php would be the easiest way

pdf is supported out of the box, you would need to learn how to handle form submission (quite easy), if you don't want to store the data for future references you'd get away with not using database

I don't think I need a database. I'm not looking to keep a record of the invoices online anywhere, I'd just want a copy sent to the business email at the same time as the customers email (which will then be recorded on our accounting software).

Currently, when a job is completed, I am handed the details in the office some time later and I type up an invoice in an excel template which I convert to pdf and email to the customer. I am hoping I can stream-line this by having the guy on the road fill out some sort of webform and there and then send a receipt to the customer.

I would also want to keep using the template we currently use, which I think I would not be able to do with the online invoicing systems.

Would I need to learn any other language before PHP, or can I just go straight to it?

Graham wrote: »
    It's fantastic to see someone thats interested in learning to code and definitely something I'd wholeheartedly encourage.

Without wishing to come across as a negative-nelly, I'd strongly recommend you use something other than your customers financial data to practice on.

We have software for customer accounting, I'm looking for something to make the invoicing more stream-lined as we end up emailing invoices more and more anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

here's a very rough example I've found here for reference

We have software for customer accounting, I'm looking for something to make the invoicing more stream-lined as we end up emailing invoices more and more anyway.

What accounting software are you using, you may find it already offers this functionality.

Alternatively, swap to an accounting system that does offer this functionality. You're talking about replacing existing disjointed systems with online disjointed systems. How about finding an online accounts system that allows your staff to create invoices, that would eliminate the copy/paste/email/copy/paste.......

What accounting software are you using, you may find it already offers this functionality.

Alternatively, swap to an accounting system that does offer this functionality. You're talking about replacing existing disjointed systems with online disjointed systems. How about finding an online accounts system that allows your staff to create invoices, that would eliminate the copy/paste/email/copy/paste.......

I'm stuck using the non-cloud based Tas Firstbooks because it's what our accountant wants us to use.
    Any system could get would have to be very simple to use, and work on mobiles too, for the fairly computer-illiterate guys out on the road doing the work to use it.
    It might not be the most efficient and stream-lined, but if I can get a web page working with this functionality, I will be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

I'm stuck using the non-cloud based Tas Firstbooks because it's what our accountant wants us to use.
    Any system could get would have to be very simple to use, and work on mobiles too, for the fairly computer-illiterate guys out on the road doing the work to use it.
    It might not be the most efficient and stream-lined, but if I can get a web page working with this functionality, I will be happy.

What you might be best doing initially is create an email form. There's different ways you can create these, and it might depend on what email software is used on the phones. But forms have been common in emails for a long time, you could get examples you can build from.

Have an email form for invoices. When the form is filled out, click the button, a document is created and sent, and then take your hard copy from that email location.

Microsoft office is good for creating these kind of things, but there's other ways you could do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Sorry OP but don't do this yourself. You are running a business so keep doing what your are good at i.e. running a business. Get an professional to do this for you. If you were modifying your offices, adding an extension etc. would you do it yourself ? Most likely not and you would get an architect to design the building and a builder to build it.

Of course you could learn to write your own invoicing system but you will have bugs/issues. Better to find an off the shelf product or hire someone to do it for you.

I don't think I need a database. I'm not looking to keep a record of the invoices online anywhere
    So when someone doesn't pay because they never got the invoice how will you know what was sent/created ?
    What about an argument re the amount on a invoice.

Never generate data electronically and pass to a third party without having a record of the data sent.
    Currently, when a job is completed, I am handed the details in the office some time later and I type up an invoice in an excel template which I convert to pdf and email to the customer. I am hoping I can stream-line this by having the guy on the road fill out some sort of webform and there and then send a receipt to the customer.

So if you don't keep a copy of the electronic invoice how does your internal support person know who was sent an invoice and when ?
    Would I need to learn any other language before PHP, or can I just go straight to it?
    So you also have to learn to programme while solving the business problem.

Do you need to register with data protection commissioner ?

• Advertisement

amen wrote: »
    Sorry OP but don't do this yourself. You are running a business so keep doing what your are good at i.e. running a business. Get an professional to do this for you. If you were modifying your offices, adding an extension etc. would you do it yourself ? Most likely not and you would get an architect to design the building and a builder to build it.

Of course you could learn to write your own invoicing system but you will have bugs/issues. Better to find an off the shelf product or hire someone to do it for you.

With that attitude I would never have made the company website.
    So when someone doesn't pay because they never got the invoice how will you know what was sent/created ?
    What about an argument re the amount on a invoice.

Never generate data electronically and pass to a third party without having a record of the data sent.

So if you don't keep a copy of the electronic invoice how does your internal support person know who was sent an invoice and when ?

You misunderstand me. When I said I didn't need a database I meant I didn't need the web app to keep a record itself. When an invoice is generated, it should be sent to the customers email and cc'd (or bcc'd) to the company email. We have separate accounting software that the invoices will be recorded to.
    So you also have to learn to programme while solving the business problem.

Which I did when I made the website from scratch, in HTML and CSS, having never had any experience of any coding at all. The website being far less of a convenience project than this.

Your attitude is not very cost-effective. We do as much as we can in-house, from servicing vehicles to warehouse improvements to, again, website development. It saves money. Now we may not be able to do everything ourselves, just like I may not be able to develop a satisfactory programme, but (especially given that this is not an urgent project) there is no reason not to try.
    Do you need to register with data protection commissioner ?

I don't see why.

Your attitude is not very cost-effective. We do as much as we can in-house, from servicing vehicles to warehouse improvements to, again, website development. It saves money. Now we may not be able to do everything ourselves, just like I may not be able to develop a satisfactory programme, but (especially given that this is not an urgent project) there is no reason not to try.

It's usually very cost effective, if it's not then I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.

You should be able to make more money in your core business than you'd save spending the same amount of time putting together your own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'd question whether setting this as a website is worthwhile, unless you require a centralised log, on top of the accounts email address, to avoid duplicate invoices.

I'll get shot for this (as custom application scripting can cause huge maintenance issues in the medium to long term, plus compatibility issues with Office for Mac) but...

How about adding some scripting and automation in a version of your existing excel spreadsheet?

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/710212-visual-basic-applications-code-convert-excel-pdf-email-attachment.html

Or (for some reason more acceptable) a python / .net script to control Excel and send the mail on the local machine.
    It's usually very cost effective, if it's not then I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.

You should be able to make more money in your core business than you'd save spending the same amount of time putting together your own website.
    ... well that's rude. And I hazard to claim not true for the majority of us, rule of diminishing returns and all that.

I already put together my website and since I did it around the other work I was getting paid for any way it worked out more cost effective than hiring an outside contractor to do it. Even more cost effective when you consider that we don't need to re-hire the contractor when we want to make changes to the website, I can do it myself.

As I said in the previous post, this is a convenience project, not something critical to the running of the business, so I there is no rush. And if I do become proficient in programming, then I can use the skills in more convenience projects, thus saving more money.

ressem wrote: »
    I'd question whether setting this as a website is worthwhile, unless you require a centralised log, on top of the accounts email address, to avoid duplicate invoices.

I'll get shot for this (as custom application scripting can cause huge maintenance issues in the medium to long term, plus compatibility issues with Office for Mac) but...

How about adding some scripting and automation in a version of your existing excel spreadsheet?

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/710212-visual-basic-applications-code-convert-excel-pdf-email-attachment.html

Or (for some reason more acceptable) a python / .net script to control Excel and send the mail on the local machine.

If I'm reading that right, that would put a function in excel on the PC that would automatically convert an excel sheet to pdf and email it? Would that work on iphones or maybe ipads? I want to make it so the employees out on site can make up invoices on their phones that automatically get emailed to the customer there and then.

(Thanks for the link, btw, I'll try it out and might end up using it as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Nope, would not work on iphones and ipads without a kludge like remote desktoping into a PC. (I missed that line of your requirements)

Bringing back to your topic of developing it yourself as a website,

Hand crafting complex PDFs is not entirely straightforward using the free software like fpdf for PHP. http://php.net/manual/en/book.pdf.php

You could consider integrating into wordpress CMS (to handle the salespersons usernames / security / login) + woocommerce to help with the PDF invoice work.
    Then learn to customise the template https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-pdf-invoices/faq/
    (This much could likely be put on your existing web space with no extra bills)

If it gets frustrating then,
    to make the job of recreating your PDF template simpler...
    GravityForms + GravityPdf (commercial software plugins)

Trying out existing possible services like
    www.jotform.com or
    www.wufoo.com
    might be worth looking at, where you'd recreate your pdf template as a form in this web service.
    (Adobe have closed their equivalent, called FormsCentral)

Advertisement