Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What barbershop fragrances do have in your den?

Options
  • 24-07-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Lately I have been collecting fragrances that some of my favorite aftershaves are based on. This is what I have in my den so far.

Yves Saint Laurent, Riva Gauche. This is what "Fine American blend" is supposed to be based on and also Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "CaD"
    To me it doesn't smell at all like them but I still like the scent a lot.

PHENHALIGON'S, Sartorial. This is suppose to have similar smell to "Brut". The top note dose a bit but the dry down smells nothing like it. The Idea behind Sartorial was to make a fragrance that resembled the smells of a tailor's workshop on London's Savile Row. It sounds like a weird smell to go for but it works. The smell is absolutely wonderful and I've received a lot of compliments when wearing it. PHENHALIGONS, "English Fern" is the fragrance that I want to buy next. It's the one a lot of people say has the best classic barbershop smell.

Dunhill, Icon. This came out this year and one that I discovered through a sample. The top note is a little citrusy but it dries down into one of the best vetiver's I've ever smelt. I use this most days going to work. My wife loves it and says it a definite panty dropper for her.

So what barshop fragrance do you have in your den?

I'd be interest in your thoughts on Floris and Czech & Speake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Pinaud Clubman.

Very nice indeed. I say it would suit an older man more than younger. Old school vibe going on with it. It seems very popular in the States and used in a lot of barbershops and mens clubs over there.

A little down market but it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Pinaud Clubman gets a good response from my other half so it can suit a younger man. Lasts all day on me too which is pretty impressive for just an aftershave.

Floid Blue and Amber are always nice barbershop fragrances. Myrsol Blue has the a 'barbershop[ type of scent so they a line of aftershaves I want to try more of.

Penhaligon's Sartorial is one I want to get a bottle of. I bought the fragrance sampler that Penhaligon's sell and it was easily my favourite of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dunhill, Icon. This came out this year and one that I discovered through a sample. The top note is a little citrusy but it dries down into one of the best vetiver's I've ever smelt. I use this most days going to work. My wife loves it and says it a definite panty dropper for her.

Sound interesting, must check that one out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Glebee wrote: »
    Sound interesting, must check that one out:D

I was looking at Creed's original Vetiver and Tom Fords Grey Vetiver but, Icon was a total dark horse find. It's a bit more complex than the other 2. Not only am I getting a nice vetiver scent I'm also getting the other subtly notes like Oud, black pepper and Lavender. I think it's the lavender that gives it that wonderful barbershop scent.
    http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Alfred-Dunhill/Icon-29229.html

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

+1 on Rive Gauche, for me the epitome of the barbershop scent

Can I also add Paco Rabanne, even if recent versions are not as good.

In addition, Worth Pour Homme, a cheapie that is really similar to PR and can be got for <€10 online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

OldRio wrote: »
    Pinaud Clubman.

Very nice indeed. I say it would suit an older man more than younger. Old school vibe going on with it. It seems very popular in the States and used in a lot of barbershops and mens clubs over there.

A little down market but it works for me.

If you like Pinaud clubman you should try their Talc. I had a haircut in a US barbershop a few months ago, http://www.leftysbarbershop.com/ , and at the end of the cut the guy poured some onto a boar haired neck brush and use it to clean the hairs off the back of my neck. I had that wonderful smell all day long from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Molinard Homme II is a nice barbershop EDT that won't break the bank -

http://www.allbeauty.com/alftershave/953185-molinard-homme-ii-eau-de-toilette-spray-120ml

Pinaud Clubman is excellent also, I also own the talc and it's lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You can overdo Clubman, your nose can become, 'Clubman blind' to the power of the scent.. much to the dismay of bystanders, members of the public etc..

I'm using Azzaro at the moment, which is quite retro, notes of early 80s Paco Rabanne (before they went sweet and fruity), with a bit of an extra bite/edge to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Amalgam wrote: »
    You can overdo Clubman, your nose can become, 'Clubman blind' to the power of the scent.. much to the dismay of bystanders, members of the public etc..

I'm using Azzaro at the moment, which is quite retro, notes of early 80s Paco Rabanne (before they went sweet and fruity), with a bit of an extra bite/edge to it.

What to you think of "current" Azzaro? I know it is generally regarded as inferior to the original (as many such scents alo are following reformulation) - I bought some a few years ago and quite liked it but found it had no life on my skin. Tried some from a shop tester yesterday and seemed to last all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The bottle is from my stash, a year or three old at least, so, I'm guessing it is the classic Azzaro and not the 'silver' one that seems to be the new one.

I like it because it reminds me of scents I'd use in my late teens, like Drakkar Noir, it is quite similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Any thoughts on Chanel Platinum Egoiste?

It seems like a wonderfully fresh barbershop scent to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

AS Lotions:
    Proraso Green - nice cool feeling. Scent doesn't last long though.
    Old Spice - as old school as it gets. My go to Lotion.
    Speick with Witch Hazel - lovely herbal scent and feels great after a close shave.

Colognes:
    Ted Baker cologne - nice but not as nice as,
    Truefit & Hill Sandalwood Cologne. Fantastic scent. My current favourite.
    Also have a Speick cologne en route from shaving.ie.

EDTs:
    Dior Sauvage - gorgeous.
    Boss - nice enough
    Armani - also gorgeous
    Rykiel Homme - had this years. It's excellent.
    Polo - great for occasional use.
    Couple of others there too but these are the ones I use.

Advertisement