Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing between satellite and terrestrial on Samsung UE32h6410SS TV

• 24-07-2015 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭

Someone I know has a Samsung UE32h6410SS (UE32H6410SSXZG) smart TV bought some months ago online from Europe, and I'm irked by how awkward it is to switch between its Satellite and Terrestrial modes.

6 button presses involving 5 different buttons just to go from one to the other.

on the main remote control you have to....

Press CH LIST (Channel List) button,
    PRESS < (left arrow) button to get into Options
    Press ENTER button (to select first option which is "Aerial" selection of either Terrestrial or Satellite)
    press Up or Down arrow buttons to select either Terrestrial or satellite
    press ENTER button
    press EXIT or RETURN button

Could there not be an easier way or maybe there is some undiscovered shortcut ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Antenna wrote: »
    Someone I know has a Samsung UE32h6410SS (UE32H6410SSXZG) smart TV bought some months ago online from Europe, and I'm irked by how awkward it is to switch between its Satellite and Terrestrial modes.

6 button presses involving 5 different buttons just to go from one to the other.

Press ENTER button (to select first option which is "Aerial" selection of either Terrestrial or Satellite)
    press ENTER button

My Dad's Walker TV has 2 favourites buttons.
    I assigned one to a Terrestrial station and one to a Sat channel and it works great.
    Have you any such option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

press ENTER button

There is a slightly shorter way:

Press Ch. List
    Press Red Button A
    Scroll up or down to Satellite
    Press Enter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

You might also consider some of the universal remotes (e.g. Harmony) which can assign macros or multiple key presses to one button.

It's surprising how poorly designed combi satellite/terrestrial TVs are. Most have separate satellite and terrestrial channel list, even though most combi receivers have an integrated channel list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Apogee wrote: »

It's surprising how poorly designed combi satellite/terrestrial TVs are. Most have separate satellite and terrestrial channel list, even though most combi receivers have an integrated channel list.

Most of this is to do with the terms Freesat impose - not saying that is good reason for a clunky system but it is the origin. The set maker could allow different country= for Air vs Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

It's not just Freesat connected brands. Most FTA combi tvs that i have come across have separate channel listings for sat and terrestrial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Initially my 48h6500ST (set to UK country for Freesat and Ireland for store) put channels in the smart bar so I have some UK channels and Irish channels there which makes it very convenient to switch. It's about 9 months ago now but I think I had to leave internet disconnected (so it didn't know it wasn't in the UK) and leave a channel on for a few hours and then it showed in the bar which i then added to favourites and did the same on Freeview (where the saorview channels are when set to UK).my firmware is quite old now as I specifically avoid updating now so as not to screw things up so maybe this doesn't work anymore but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sony Bravia teevisions swap between Saorview and FTA satellite with one press of the Digital/Analog button. It works great

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Darranid

press ENTER button

Hi Antenna,

did you ever find a decent shortcut?

I have the same problem. Until recently I had shortcuts within the SmartHub ribbon that allowed me to save BBC1 and RTE1 as favourites. Simply clicking on those made the change. A recent software update undid all that!

Help!

I got screwed over recently too as my TV forced an update and nix'd my saved smart hub channels, it only saves the recent channel now and that changes depending on last viewed. I sent Samsung a withering email but their response was the expected valueless waffle. I do have an old software saved on my PC for just such an eventuality so I may revert at some point if I can find it (and if my wife can't get over it as I rarely watch linear TV anymore and never saorview anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ Dave..M Chansort works on Samsungs. You can edit the channel list and get rid of the regional variations and relisgious channels etc and re-order to your liking.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    @ Dave..M Chansort works on Samsungs. You can edit the channel list and get rid of the regional variations and relisgious channels etc and re-order to your liking.

Cheers, useful to know but its Freesat TV (dual tuner) so i'm fine with the channel order and I have saorview on the Freeview tuner, the problem is changing between both Saorview & Freesat is ckunky, like the other poster, I had shortcuts to Saorview & Freesat channels in the smart hub bar making it one click but they changed the smart hub and that went away much to my wife & kids chagrin and cannot be saved back. Crazy changing basic functionality like but hey that's Samsung (even with update set to no!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Franck

press ENTER button

Hi antenna,

I am glad to find your post as i have the same issues.

I bought a ue48ju7000txx samsung tv , last week ( may 2016) Dual satellite tunner and soarview approved. Very expensive € 1200
    The problem my kids and I can't get used to the way to switch from one to another ( example from rte1 to E4 ) very awkward. 5 button presses.
    Those smart samsung tv do not have the 1 click function of a cheap combi receiver. Making their dual tuner and saorview terrestrial a hell of a waste.
    I finally had to plug back my old combi receiver to the hdmi tv plug and the family can use the tv.
    Not that smart those sansung.
    Making few function unavailable like recording etc...

The shopkeeper told me no box needed !!!!!
    Beware.

On top of this i was looking for the usb and hdmi plugs at the back of the tv ( NONE..!!) it come with a seperate box to plug in. This is an extra box to get hdmi and usb plug. No place allocated behind the tv to for it. It stand on my furniture with my combi receiver.

At this price and claiming smartness, I think i can be critical.

Finally, the support call center allocated for the Republic of Ireland, is a joke.
    I end up with an English operateur that had no clue about my channels dilemma. Telling me that all channels should be on the satellite and to call a thecnician to fix my dish. All irish people knows that irish channels can not be view for free on astra. ( you need sky or other subscription) And that terrestrial is the only way to go to get them free.
    What a waste of time and money.
    I would return that tv with no hesitation and knowing the issues, i would shop for an other brand. More smart indeed...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a Samsung and suffered the same problem (xxES7000) which also has a satellite tuner that is hard to get at. I upgraded it using the Evolution kit, and that brings it to the equivalent of the xxF7000. The benefit of this is that you get a new remote that has a history function that allows a simple way of switching channels to one you watched previously, and also another function that easily allows entry to set channels by number.

Check out the manual - it might cover this aspect.

I have a Samsung and suffered the same problem (xxES7000) which also has a satellite tuner that is hard to get at. I upgraded it using the Evolution kit, and that brings it to the equivalent of the xxF7000. The benefit of this is that you get a new remote that has a history function that allows a simple way of switching channels to one you watched previously, and also another function that easily allows entry to set channels by number.

Check out the manual - it might cover this aspect.

Thanks Sam , I will look at that option

@Franck
    Could you post a picture of your remote?

@Franck
    Could you post a picture of your remote?

Could do but can't find how to insert pictures, sorry😀

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Sorry for dragging up this old thread, mods feel free to move if required.

Any update on quick changes between terrestrial and satellite channels? My aunt has bought a new Samsung QE32Q50AAUXXU that comes with a standard remote and a sleek solar powered one. She wants to do away with her ferguson ariva combo if possible and just use the built in tuners.

Thanks in advance for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭decor58

Post edited by decor58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

delete

Advertisement