Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing glass shelves

Options
  • 23-07-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Hope one of you knowledgeable DIYers can offer some advice. I've just restored an old china cabinet and I need to secure the glass shelves. There are 2 shelves (8mm glass) and they are currently resting on the pins as you can see in the photo. (Ignore the fact that I got paint on them please :D). I know that's the way the cabinet was originally made but I'm a bit reluctant to put all of my Granny's china tea sets on them. I can't put brackets on the side as they are glass. The back of the cabinet isn't much thicker than plywood. Any ideas please or do yiz reckon it's safe enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Shouldn't be a problem. As long as the peg in the hole is 'snug' the glass is thick enough to support light loads. Brass brackets with a rubber shoe are available if you wanted to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Recipio, I put the glass shelves in this morning and it seems ok. I was thinking of cutting pieces of white plastic tubing to use as struts in each corner for added support. I can hide them in the corners. I'm probably being over cautious but the stuff I'm putting into the cabinet belonged to my late Mam and I don't want to take a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks Recipio, I put the glass shelves in this morning and it seems ok. I was thinking of cutting pieces of white plastic tubing to use as struts in each corner for added support. I can hide them in the corners. I'm probably being over cautious but the stuff I'm putting into the cabinet belonged to my late Mam and I don't want to take a risk.

A little over cautious ? I once made a display cabinet with brass rod for supports.
    The only problem was that the glass would slide about a bit but I solved it by putting rubber 'o' rings on the brass rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

recipio wrote: »
    A little over cautious ? I once made a display cabinet with brass rod for supports.
    The only problem was that the glass would slide about a bit but I solved it by putting rubber 'o' rings on the brass rod.

I like your style, I've actually cut out pieces of foam to put on the supports :D

Advertisement