Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Chromecase with iOS and non-internet-connected router

Options
  • 23-07-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an iPhone, a router, and a Chromecast. I'd like to cast from the phone to the Chromecast (Netflix, etc) but I'm aware I need a wifi connection.... however I believe it can be done without the router being internet connected.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

3DataModem wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an iPhone, a router, and a Chromecast. I'd like to cast from the phone to the Chromecast (Netflix, etc) but I'm aware I need a wifi connection.... however I believe it can be done without the router being internet connected.

Any advice?

Just enable hotspot on the iPhone. You may need a second smartphone/tablet/laptop to configure the Chromecast and start Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just enable hotspot on the iPhone. You may need a second smartphone/tablet/laptop to configure the Chromecast and start Netflix

Surely the Chromecast has to be on the same wifi network as the iPhone? You can't connect a phone to its own hotspot.

Unless you've done it - can't you talk me through it ?

Surely the Chromecast has to be on the same wifi network as the iPhone? You can't connect a phone to its own hotspot.

Unless you've done it - can't you talk me through it ?

You'll need a second smartphone, tablet or laptop etc.
    Once you send something (cast) to Chromecast say Netflix from a smartphone, it then streams direct to the Chromecast over Wi-Fi, you can turn off the smartphone, the Chromecast will keep playing. Setup a Wi-Fi hotspot on the iPhone, use another smartphone to configure and setup the Chromecast then install the Netflix app, find what you want to play and send it to play on the Chromecast which will stream directly from the iPhone it's connected to.

use another smartphone

I know how to do it with two smartphones. :)

I want to know how to do it with a web connected smartphone and a non-web-connect router.

I know how to do it with two smartphones. :)

I want to know how to do it with a web connected smartphone and a non-web-connect router.

Sorry, you'll have to Google mirroring from an iPhone, there are apps that enable you do it. I do all my casting from Android

• Advertisement

Sorry, you'll have to Google mirroring from an iPhone, there are apps that enable you do it. I do all my casting from Android

I don't need to mirror. There are iOS apps that natively support casting to Chromecast. I would like to know if it is possible to cast from the phone to the chromecast with the devices I have or not, and if so, how.

I don't need to mirror. There are iOS apps that natively support casting to Chromecast. I would like to know if it is possible to cast from the phone to the chromecast with the devices I have or not, and if so, how.

You do need to mirror because once sent to the Chromecast the Chromecast changes the stream to transfer directly from Wi-Fi and with a router with no internet connectivity that will not be possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You do need to mirror because once sent to the Chromecast the Chromecast changes the stream to transfer directly from Wi-Fi and with a router with no internet connectivity that will not be possible

What about for casting vof files on his device, rather than say services like Netflix? Theoretically all he should need is a WiFi connection between his casting device and the Chromecast, which could be set up with a non internet connected router, which is what I think he's getting at.

I think it should be possible, but given Chromecast updates relatively regularly, it might need a web connection to function properly.

What about for casting vof files on his device, rather than say services like Netflix? Theoretically all he should need is a WiFi connection between his casting device and the Chromecast, which could be set up with a non internet connected router, which is what I think he's getting at.

I think it should be possible, but given Chromecast updates relatively regularly, it might need a web connection to function properly.

You mean local casting, some apps allow this but the likes of Netflix which I think he mentioned don't work this way which is why I suggested mirroring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You mean local casting, some apps allow this but the likes of Netflix which I think he mentioned don't work this way which is why I suggested mirroring

Will an iphone allow you to use cellular data if the WiFi network you're connected to doesn't have an external web connection? Might work in that case.

• Advertisement

Will an iphone allow you to use cellular data if the WiFi network you're connected to doesn't have an external web connection? Might work in that case.

Prob not, you can do feck all with an iPhone, ridiculous overpriced piece of crap :p

Cheers, I'll look into it,

Prob not, you can do feck all with an iPhone, ridiculous overpriced piece of crap :p

i disagree.

i disagree.

Trust me, I have both iPhone 5 and iPad mini for work and both are horrible ridiculously restrictive pieces of crap that make doing even simple things hard and cumbersome. Give me Android devices at half the money with their universal charging ports and non proprietary accessories any day.

You do realise this is the Android forum, we can say stuff like that here.

Advertisement