Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf MK2 not turning over

Options
  • 23-07-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've got a 1.6 diesel MK2 and it's been driving fine since february.
    The other day I found that there had actually been an alarm installed so I turned it on and got the fobs battery replaced.

It's been about 2 days not and my girlfriend went out to the car and turned off the alarm and then I went to start it.

All the lights flicked on for a second as I was about to let it warm up and then they went off again. The car isn't even turning over now...

I turned off the alarm again in case that's what's drained the battery.

Anyone have any advice or information?

I'm pretty much a complete newby when it comes to cars.

Thanks.

EDIT: so the clock in the car isn't even on so I'm guessing the batter is completely eaten (unless there's some kind of fault?)

So, would I be better off trying to jumpstart the car or take the battery out and get it charged by a autoparts shop in artane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Battery is dead, get the alarm disconnected permanently not just switched off.
    Charge battery and see if it lasts, if it still works after a few days then it may be OK, if it dies again it's probably dead from the constant draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Thanks for the advice, getting a jump tomorrow morning.

Will keep this updated.

So, got the battery checked out and its still pretty much fully charged, gonna check the fuses now, any other suggestions?

I'm hoping the alarm just blew a fuse

I know it's been a while but forgot to update! Ended up being that the belts all needed changing so the battery wasn't getting a proper charge.

Been running like a dream since.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, thanks for finalising the thread in case someone else have the same issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement