Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone Download Limits

Options
  • 23-07-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if Win 10 will allow users to download files over 20mb on over 3g (i.e. not have the hardcoded requirement to wait for WiFi)

I was looking around there - but couldn't find a definitive answer on this.

I think if I knew about this I wouldn't have bought a windows phone..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

A preview build of Windows 10 for phones didn't have this limitation but we won't know for sure until September...

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-looks-set-remove-cellular-download-limits-store

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OP I'm using the latest preview build (10166) of Windows 10 at the moment on my Lumia 625 and I can turn on downloading over metered connections for apps like offline maps and so on. It's also an option that's available on the desktop Windows 10 TP so you can set your tethered connection as unmetered.

There's a bug in it at the moment on (10166) when you're using the Mobile Hotspot - over wireless, as soon as the screen locks, the connection is lost. Shared over Bluetooth instead (Join a PAN on your laptop), works perfectly for me anyway when out and about.

I can actually see myself using this preview build as a daily driver until the release of the full version of Windows 10 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

sounds promising at least - I find it a real pain that it is going to such lengths to protect me from data download costs - fair enough have a default - but let me override it!

This one is particularly annoying as I think there is also a bug in my podcast player (podcast critter) where the download q is getting filled with old episodes, so I cant then go and tell it to direct download a given episode.. arrghhh!

Advertisement