Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application Form Query

Options
  • 23-07-2015 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Currently filling in an ETB application form and I've come across a question I find a bit unclear.

It's asks for details on "Role in School/Centre: Coordination, planning etc"

First of all I thought this was asking for any information on special responsibilities a candidate has had in previous jobs. But there is no box asking for a summary of teaching experience so I'm starting to wonder if that's what they're asking here. What kind of details would you include?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

Is this a post for a teaching position, or might it be for a tutor, or youthreach resource person.?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

CraftySue wrote: »
    Is this a post for a teaching position, or might it be for a tutor, or youthreach resource person.?

It's for a teaching position, but the application form is a generic etb one. So it's a question that applies to people in secondary schools or other adult education centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

aunt aggie wrote: »
    It's for a teaching position, but the application form is a generic etb one. So it's a question that applies to people in secondary schools or other adult education centres.

Is there nowhere to state your past experience etc? Where you have taught?

I'd imagine the question you refer to is asking if you had any experience coordinating TY, LCA, JCSP, maybe you were numeracy coordinator or something like that. Essentially what input dos you have as to how the school/centre was run.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

That's good. The Centre coordination/ planning part - made me query it. I would imagine then teaching experience/ additional roles and responsibilities might go here. Best of luck with it

There is an area to list previous experience but most application forms now ask for more details on top of that. I think it means the exact same doc_17 but that means I would probably be leaving this box blank. Really hate doing that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

aunt aggie wrote: »
    There is an area to list previous experience but most application forms now ask for more details on top of that. I think it means the exact same doc_17 but that means I would probably be leaving this box blank. Really hate doing that...

Don't leave it blank. What subjects do you teach? Were you involved in pastoral care? ICT coordination? The teaching and learning group? Any extra curricular roles? Subject planning? Anti bullying policy? You must have had input into these through CP hours. Even if you had limited input you must embellish it to put yourself into the mix

I have been involved in pastoral care, but that's about it. As I've rarely been in one school for longer than a year it's hard to talk about initiatives I've been involved in. Same with subject planning, most depts have this already done and you're handed a yearly plan on day one. Also there's a separate section for the extra curriculars.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Maybe talk about where and how you were " visible " and engaged in the life of previous schools. If they had a policy or practice you found useful. even chatting in the staffroom on wed pm about your subject is informal cpd , networking and staff support as are going for a pint on Friday evening.
    Lots of etb FE centres spend a of of time designing and modifying schemes of work . policies etc. Even supervision and substitution is a role which no doubt you prepared for by getting to know staff and students , linking subject being covered to your own , engaged students on areas of interest to you which prepared them for life etc......

I think what they wan is to give you a chance to show that you did / were more than just show up teach the next chapter and go home.

Advertisement