Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clothes for 1 yr old?

Options
  • 23-07-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Can you please recommend some shops for clothes for a 1+ yr old? I live abroad but coming back to Ireland for a holiday and want to buy his clothes there rather than bringing loads with me. My mum previously sent over some baby gros etc from Dunnes but they went all out of shape in the wash, so I'd love to know where I can get hardy baby clothes that won't cost the earth. Penneys? Tesco? Next (heard its nice but pricey)? Other?

If it helps, he's kinda stocky. Definitely not a skinny fella! :pac:

Thanks!

MiA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Although you weren't happy with the baby gros from Dunnes, I think they have a fab selection of toddler boy's clothes. Great deals on track pants and long sleeved tshirts and some lovely dressy outfits too. I think they wash well.

I loved H&M for baby clothes but I struggle to get suitable clothes for my 21 month old (he's in 2-3 years). I think they don't cater too well for the toddler stage but are excellent for baby and older children. You might think differently though and they are very reasonably priced.

I haven't been to Tesco in a while but they can be good too.

A trip to Penney's would be worth your while too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dunnes kids clothes are terrible.

Next for nice hard wearing but expensive clothes.
    Tesco and H&M for good quality clothes that wash well.
    Pennys for the basics.
    Boots often have some nice things 2 for 10 euro too.
    Debenhams for nice but a bit expensive clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Oh I love boots clothes! Pity they are on the expensive side, but if you can avail of a 3 for 2 sale you can get some great bits.

H&M is our go to aswell. Can never find anything nice for my boy in penny's though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Marks & Spencers have good quality body suits and clothes. Tesco aren't the worst either.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks everyone! Lots of good info there.

Boots do clothes now? I have been away a while...! I didn't think of Debenhams or M&S.

Also, I should have said we do cloth nappies, so any stuff that is good for big bums let me know.

Tx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I use cloth nappies too and the Next and Marks and Spencer jeans are the best I've found. I don't like Dunnes clothes (or work and management practices to be quite honest) or Pennys, I think they don't wear or wash well. My lad has had some M&S stuff for a year now and it's still perfect. I also love JoJoMamanBebe but it's pricey unless you catch a sale. Excellent quality though, all the stuff from there lasts.

Edit stay away from Debenhams for cloth bums. Way too small fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I find Mothercare clothes really good too. Nice material and I find they are always the size they say they are. They last longer than that too. I just packed away a 3-6 month old fleece that my 10 month old wore up to recently. They're expensive though - €21 for 3 babygros. Some patterns go down to €10 in the sale. Next might be nicer though for a similar price. I just got in the habit of shopping in MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Not tesco for big bums. My DD had inherited mine the poor thing and she gets a terrible case of builders bum in their stuff.
    The clothes are lovely though.
    Next have gorg stuff but can be pricy. Although for the length of time you get from them they're definitely worth it.
    Penney's I would say if its just for holiday they're cheap so you'll get a good few outfits out of them. And you won't mind leaving them if you don't want to cart them back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Next is brilliant they have great tracksuit bottoms and vests, name it have fab long sleeved t shirts and have them for €3 in the sale. M and s are excellent. I love boden but they are very expensive!
    I hate dunnes and don't really bother with penneys unless something was €1 :D

You would be surprised if you buy ahead when there is a sale you will pay penneys prices for the likes of next etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Next is excellent! The quality is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gosh I find Next quality awful... I've had stuff completely fall to pieces after a few washes and the colours and styles are too casual. It's all tracksuits and hoodies, bleurg. Blue and green is it for boys, and you're mainly limited to pink or purple for the girls. I also find the shapes of things seem to be odd also. Far too wide and too short for my kids anyway. Dresses would be swimming in the chest and the length would be up around their arse.

I prefer Dunnes and M&S range. Benetton is probably the best wearing... we have hand-me-downs of benetton brand which have gone through 6 kids, but still perfect. The sizes run smaller than other shops, but the fit and colours are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I love Next! I regularly get a baby clothes "care package" from home, it's great.

(I find nice baby/toddler clothes here are really expensive, or else really poor quality).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Never ever had anything fall apart from Next! I've a few pairs of jeans my little boy has worn for nearly a year now and still perfect! I don't know what casual means, but it's not like I'd be dressing my kids in formal wear on a regular basis. Just jeans and cords and tops and dresses. I don't like tracksuits at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Tesco clothes wash well and keep shape, I buy mostly from NEXT and can get some great bargains there too, use jog pants mostly for creche as they are handy and can pick up two pairs for less than 20euro in NEXT.
    Just purchased a pair of jeans online from NEXT yesterday only 15euro and can buy 3 pack tops for 18-22euro. I don't consider that expensive have paid 10euro for one jog pants in DUNNES and shrunk after 2-3 washes. NEXT also have next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm a big next fan. I find the clothes last forever and never seem to go out of shape. I dint like dunnes at all. The boys stuff is so boring and everything gets baggy after a few washes. Some pennys stuff is grand but others just fall apart. H&m is good as is m&s although it's a bit pricey. Next always have good multi buy deals so you can mix and match

Tescos are really good too and I've bought boys clothes there that washed really well. Their vests are fantastic quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

pwurple wrote: »
    Gosh I find Next quality awful... I've had stuff completely fall to pieces after a few washes and the colours and styles are too casual. It's all tracksuits and hoodies, bleurg. Blue and green is it for boys, and you're mainly limited to pink or purple for the girls. I also find the shapes of things seem to be odd also. Far too wide and too short for my kids anyway. Dresses would be swimming in the chest and the length would be up around their arse.

I prefer Dunnes and M&S range. Benetton is probably the best wearing... we have hand-me-downs of benetton brand which have gone through 6 kids, but still perfect. The sizes run smaller than other shops, but the fit and colours are good.
    Benetton clothes are fab but everything I have needs to be ironed so that's a downside!
    I completely disagree on Next. My daughter is mostly dressed from Next at the moment because of the money off vouchers. I rarely put her in pink. She's mostly in green, orange, yellow and navy. I like to dress her casually on a day to day basis so pretty tshirts, cardigans and leggings usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

For cloth bums h& m all the way! They are designed for cloth bums!

I find dunnes and next woeful too. Next are all skinny jeans and mini adult clothes. My guy is a big guy. Wide build and shoulders so Zara, next don't suit a lot of the time.

Also builders bums look cute in cloth !

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks a mill for all the tips! I've got a good idea now of where to shop.

Advertisement