Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App for Texting without Sim Card

Options
  • 23-07-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

My daughter is 7 & has multiple disabilities. Is there an App I can set up where she can type messages to me & other selected people? I tried Viber using the landline but the Code to activate it never arrived.

The reason I would like to encourage her to type is because she won't be able to write. However I notice she has been googling Frozen & Barney on her ipad :-)

Has anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

facebook messenger? but that has it's own pitfalls, not least the need to have a FB account, but it's easily monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Another one of the big messaging apps is Google Hangouts. I don't think you need a number, just a Google account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Thanks. I would be afraid she would be messaging everyone on her friends list. She actually has an account but uses it just to look at my pictures.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If she has an iPad and you have and the other users have iPhones/iPads then iMessage would be ideal.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If she has an iPad and you have and the other users have iPhones/iPads then iMessage would be ideal.

The rest of us are all Android Fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

Skype?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

you could get a free pay as you go sim, and use that to set up Viber I think. You don't need the sim in the device if I'm right - just to receive the activation code. Obviously then her Viber account will be attached to that number, but you don't have to give the number to anybody that you don't want to be able to message her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Knine wrote: »
    The rest of us are all Android Fans

Well you have the option of the following:

Heytell
    Viber
    or Blackberry Messenger is now across all devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Well you have the option of the following:

Heytell
    Viber
    or Blackberry Messenger is now across all devices.

Telegram....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger

you could get a free pay as you go sim, and use that to set up Viber I think. You don't need the sim in the device if I'm right - just to receive the activation code. Obviously then her Viber account will be attached to that number, but you don't have to give the number to anybody that you don't want to be able to message her.

Great idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement