Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of taking a gap year?..

Options
  • 22-07-2015 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm going into leaving cert this year (I'm 18 now) I'll be 19 by the time I finish but I want to take a year out and try my hand a music career..
    It's a long shot so I don't want to just skip college all
    together but still I want to see what I can make out of it..

Other than that I'll (hopefully) go study English /arts in Maynooth.. But I was also looking at songwriting in Bimm but I don't know if it would really be worth it..

I'm also thinking starting college at 20 is a bit odd..
    What do you think?
    I'd plan on working as a lifeguard/bartender during my gap year too.
    Would college be a good idea even if only to meet some like minded people to play with?..

Any ideas? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Lots of people take Gap Years to travel or to focus on hobbies such as music, photography etc. The problem is some people don't have the funds to do this and end up doing nothing all year and just wait for college to come around. But you sound like you have plans (just make sure those jobs are 100% set in stone before you defer your course!).

As to what course to do, I cannot help you. Definitely go to open days and talk to lecturers on your course. You'll get a feel for the college and courses available. I was deadset on a course and college, went to an open day and HATED it! At least I found out before I ended up going there. Do A LOT of research with courses and CAO, there are loads of sources online and there's a CAO sticky above on here.

Advertisement