Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time to finally pull the trigger

Options
  • 22-07-2015 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

I've decided (after 4 years!) that I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a good watch. I've decide on an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, the one in the link as I want something that is equally at home in the office and for casual wear.

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/master-co-axial-41-5-mm/23110422101004

I see it retails for around €4,400 in Irish B&M stores but I've never bought anything of this value before. Realistically, what should I be looking to pay for such a watch? I also travel frequently for work, could I get a better deal outside of Ireland?

As it is a watch forum, don't hesitate to put forward ideas for something similar. It's only taken me 4years to get to this point, may as well confuse me with more options I hadn't considered.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Senecio wrote: »
    I've decided (after 4 years!) that I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a good watch. I've decide on an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, the one in the link as I want something that is equally at home in the office and for casual wear.

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/master-co-axial-41-5-mm/23110422101004

I see it retails for around €4,400 in Irish B&M stores but I've never bought anything of this value before. Realistically, what should I be looking to pay for such a watch? I also travel frequently for work, could I get a better deal outside of Ireland?

As it is a watch forum, don't hesitate to put forward ideas for something similar. It's only taken me 4years to get to this point, may as well confuse me with more options I hadn't considered.

Thanks

Stunning watch. I'm might look at a pre-owned down the road. Have you considered pre-owned from the likes of TZ-UK? You could pay half of the price of the B&M's here for something that could be almost mint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Yes I've considered pre-owned, but I guess I'm looking to spoil myself with something that's mine if that makes sense? I've hit a milestone birthday this year and been quite successful in my career lately so I see it as a reward. Just don't want to pay over the odds.

Famous last words but I don't ever expect to move this watch on. It would have too much sentimental value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭893bet

May I suggest a slight change to your choice. Youi have linked to the "Master version". I suggest the previous non-magnetic version of the watch. The only differences being that is doesnt have 15000 gauss protection (which is a gimimic), it had brushed centre links , and a border on the date window. It is also 400 euro cheaper. I think a price brand new should be achievable for circa 3700-3800 euro. Maybe even 3600 euro as the green (known as the Golf aqua terra) would be less popular. Ref number 231.10.42.21.01.001
    See link
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/co-axial-415-mm/23110422101001

Iconic have it for 2600 GBP
    http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-chronometer-231-10-42-21-01-001.html

They have the one you suggested at almost 2900GBP
    http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-chronometer-golf-231-10-42-21-01-004.html

Your options
    1) Buy new from AD. Most expensive option but at least you have security of AD etc.
    2) Buy from Iconic. Cheaper than AD. Make sure watch that comes will be stamped by an AD. If it is you are covered to walk in to your local AD and get the watch fixed if a problem occurs under the warranty period. As far as i know all watches from iconic come stamped. Iconic are 100 percent trust worthy.
    3) Register on TZ-UK, make some posts and in two months you will be able to see their sales corner. These come up occasionally and would sell for 1700-2000 GBP depending on age (I think the watch is only release 4 years so they are all fairly new). Again this is a fairly secure method of purchase how ever it has a small element of risk, very small with due diligence on your part.

My advice? Try on in an AD if you havent already. The 41.5 mm version of this version wears big enough IMO. They do a 38.5 mm version in the aqua terra (not sure of this color combination is available in the 38.5mm but i assume it is) and wears better, but that of course is personal opinion.

Never miss an opportunity to post my Aqua Terra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Beautiful Omega OP. Those green minutes are stunning against the black dial and it's something a bit different than the usual. The pointed minute hand is my only gripe with the design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a cracking watch. A Rolex Milgausse comes to mind, but it's probably double the price and I think the one you have your eye on is lovely.

If you travel with work, then check out the airports. I think the shops often claim to sell them "duty free", but they're really just discounting them so the duty is actually paid. I imagine it's just a way to sell at a discount but still keep within the marque's pricing rules. Heathrow have a dedicated Omega boutique for starters, but obviously it's not a great time for the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

893bet wrote: »
    Never miss an opportunity to post my Aqua Terra

First dibs if you ever decide to flip it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Some lovely watches on that Iconic site. I'd be all over the Longines chronograph if I had a spare €1500 kicking around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

lizzyman wrote: »
    Some lovely watches on that Iconic site. I'd be all over the Longines chronograph if I had a spare €1500 kicking around.

Or this one http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/longines-conquest-automatic-chronograph-41-00-mm-l2-786-8-56-3.html
    But I just couldn't bring myself to let the cowsh1te near it, I'd have to buy a winder as well:rolleyes:

Best of luck Senico whatever you choose.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

893bet wrote: »
    May I suggest a slight change to your choice. Youi have linked to the "Master version". I suggest the previous non-magnetic version of the watch. The only differences being that is doesnt have 15000 gauss protection (which is a gimimic), it had brushed centre links , and a border on the date window....

Thank you for your input. I won't quote your whole post but I'll reference it.

On the question of master/no-master I'm torn. There are element of both that I like. I do like the brushed centre links of the no-master but I prefer the less emphasized date window of the master version. Maybe it's just the photos I've seen but the dial on the no-master version seems shinier than the master version. I'm also quite partial to the green seconds hand.

On the purchase options I definitely want new from an AD or through a company like Iconic that can provide and AD stamp. I've no concerns with buying through reputable on-line sites but that price on Iconic for the master version is not much cheaper that B&M and could I expect to negotiate a little off the RRP?

On the sizing, I have tried the 41.5mm on and I didn't think it wore that big. I would consider myself to have a small wrist but with the small bezel and curved lugs it looked and felt just right on the wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

OP,

Are you going to Canaries anytime soon? Some great value to be had in a real BM shop over there. Cheaper tax rate etc....

mad m wrote: »
    OP,

Are you going to Canaries anytime soon? Some great value to be had in a real BM shop over there. Cheaper tax rate etc....

No to Canaries, but I am flying through Dubai on my way to Hyderabad on Sunday. I had discounted this option as Dubai is normally very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

On the sizing, I have tried the 41.5mm on and I didn't think it wore that big. I would consider myself to have a small wrist but with the small bezel and curved lugs it looked and felt just right on the wrist.

Usually thin bezel makes the watch seem bigger. Curved lugs though definitely help for smaller wrists.

Apologies for the poor phone photo, but I'm currently on the way back from Mumbai with a present for myself.

357000.jpg

Lovely! I see you took my advice and went with the previous iteration! What size you settle on in the end?

Yes, the previous iteration at a price that was too good to ignore. 41.5mm. No regrets going for the previous.

Great stuff! The start of an expensive hobby. ......

When I bought my Omega, I said thats it now no more. Brother in law said to me "The first one is the hardest to buy"....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mad m wrote: »
    When I bought my Omega, I said thats it now no more. Brother in law said to me "The first one is the hardest to buy"....:)

I agree...

I sold a few of mine and am now back in the market, so am at that stage again and justifying to myself that its ok to have on your wrist something that you could buy a small car with ...

But am getting there...am really loving this

DSC_0105_zpsx6nq5khu.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

@Deep

Thats a beaut.

... wrist something that you could buy a small car with ...

Funny enough, when I bought it I was travelling with a work colleague. His first comment was "There's a small car on your wrist!"

Can't stop pulling the cuff back to make sure I can see it in the office.

357521.JPG

Can't stop pulling the cuff back to make sure I can see it in the office.

Noob thing to do, unfortunately from experience you won't stop doing it.:)

Advertisement