Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toasting Two Kings

Options
  • 22-07-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I was at the Aughrim Horse Fair last Sunday, and while viewing all of the horses – and the women! – there, I took a walk around the village to see the site of the Battle of Aughrim, the decisive battle in the Williamite wars, which are commemorated each year in the North.
    I thought to myself had James won that war, what sort of Theocracy would we have had in these islands? Bad and all as the abuse scandals cover up was since 1922, imagine trying to uncover that with the entire Royal machine behind the church to stop you?
    Maybe God had a reason for James losing the war… so while saying a silent prayer for the dead Jacobites and a silent toast to the King O’er the Water, I gave a silent nod to William too…

Neath Aughrim hill, at the Fair I stood
    On a lane once washed with human blood
    Where horses wild ran in for their lives in vein
    Died beside man in a fight for which neither gain.
    We lost that battle, as we did the Boyne before
    We were to lose the war too, and rebellions, many more
    We rebel and rise up as we think that we are right
    As fools do who never learn, you lose when you fight...

Read the rest here >>>

Advertisement