Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squirrels

Options
  • 22-07-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or are there a lot more squirrels about lately? I'm on the outskirts of Dublin and have noticed a colossal increase in the squirrel population.

Nice to see the little feckers either way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I have Noticed a major increase in squirrels as well I walk in Munster area mostly.

Saw one at weekend in an area never saw one before walked right out in front of me.

In my unscientific manner , this is best year ever for squirrel sightings for me by a large margin.

All reds in munster, think i saw one grey once but cannot but certain with the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Are you seeing reds or greys?
    Must say I love the reds and been hoping to see and maybe photograph some too!

I've seen loads of greys but didn't really think whether there were more of them are not. I live near a large park and the place is infested with greys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

All greys. I'm near a local park too that I've been going to for years. Would rarely see a squirrel but this year you can't walk through it without seeing 20 or more. Have even seen them running across the road from people's gardens and that's something I never saw before. Seems to be a huge population increase in my area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm reliably informed there's a restaurant in Cabinteely that has grey squirrel on their menu :) Very tasty by all accounts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I frequently get asked,at this time of year, if squirrel numbers are up. To be honest it's just that the first lot of young have left the nests; combined with this being their most active time of year. And we are out more to see them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've gone from seeing literally a handful a year to 20+ each time I visit my local park the last few months. It's certainly not just my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Grey squirrels are invaders...in London they call them "Rats that climb trees"

I would definitely eat one, if I could catch it. Said to be tasty, wild reared, lean, and there's a clear need to keep the population down. What's not to love?

Only snag is that they eat anything, old sandwiches out of bins, etc.

That's an open offer, by the way: anybody with a fresh dead grey squirrel, please feel free to PM me.

PS NOT a red squirrel!!!!

katemarch wrote: »
    Grey squirrels are invaders...in London they call them "Rats that climb trees"

I would definitely eat one, if I could catch it. Said to be tasty, wild reared, lean, and there's a clear need to keep the population down. What's not to love?

Only snag is that they eat anything, old sandwiches out of bins, etc.

That's an open offer, by the way: anybody with a fresh dead grey squirrel, please feel free to PM me.

PS NOT a red squirrel!!!!

They feed on rotten food, carry fleas, a pox virus and mange. They may not be safe to eat. And of course - may contain nuts.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I've gone from seeing literally a handful a year to 20+ each time I visit my local park the last few months. It's certainly not just my imagination.

This year reflects the huge abundance of tree seeds last year with a very successful breeding season. It should level out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

This year reflects the huge abundance of tree seeds last year with a very successful breeding season. It should level out though.

It would seem that's a factor indeed.I've definitely noticed more squirrels this year. Plenty of reds still to be seen though, Glasnevin Cemetery has, and always had a decent mix of greys and reds,as does the adjacent Botanic Gardens. A little further afield,Ardgillen Castle which lies between skerries an Balbriggan has more reds you could shake a stick at,and no shortage of other wildlife either. Well worth a spin up early some morning with a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I had a small red squirrel in my garden at lunch time eating the seed out of spruce cones blown down onto the lawn, was delighted to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

I submit sightings records to the National Biodiversity Database quite often, and received an email in June of this year thanking me for submitting details of wild mammal sightings to the 'Atlas of Mammals in Ireland' project; I was surprised to read that by June of 2015, the most frequently recorded mammal sighting was of Red Squirrels at a whopping 239 individuals, with rabbits next at 214 individuals.

Just a few lines from that email: "Since the beginning of the year most records received were of Red squirrel (239) followed by Rabbit (214), Irish hare (197) and Red fox (178). The large number of red squirrel sightings is particularly pleasing as many people are commenting that they are seeing red squirrels again at locations after many years absence."

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I submit sightings records to the National Biodiversity Database quite often, and received an email in June of this year thanking me for submitting details of wild mammal sightings to the 'Atlas of Mammals in Ireland' project; I was surprised to read that by June of 2015, the most frequently recorded mammal sighting was of Red Squirrels at a whopping 239 individuals, with rabbits next at 214 individuals.

Just a few lines from that email: "Since the beginning of the year most records received were of Red squirrel (239) followed by Rabbit (214), Irish hare (197) and Red fox (178). The large number of red squirrel sightings is particularly pleasing as many people are commenting that they are seeing red squirrels again at locations after many years absence."

That's the big flaw with the National Bio database. People see a red squirrel they will say "oh, I should report that" but they ignore greys, rats etc. It has to be the most inaccurate atlas of them all.

Advertisement