Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MGB GT CIRCA 1979

Options
  • 22-07-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Hi , thinking of buying one of these - but only thinking at present !!
    i have never owned a classic before, what are they like to drive ?? very old fashioned? i wont be using everyday but dont have shares in topaz either !! what mpg can i expected to get on main road driving ?

more importantly i am 6''3 , will i fit ?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What kind of driving are you thinking of doing? MGs are loud, fun runabouts around the suburbs and national roads. Long trips on motorways will wear you out.

Driving one won't be like driving a modern car and will take some getting used to, but if you enjoy driving, the rawness of the whole experience is a pleasure. Think go-kart steering with classic sounds and smells !

Are you planning on driving year-round? Classics are less fun in the winter. Foggy windows, drafts, inferior heaters and, if your car is kept outside, potential issues from sitting in the wet are all hazards of ownership. That said, a car driven all year round is usually a happier car, (unless you've a heated garage to store it in).

I've only driven the roadster version so I can't comment on headroom in the 'B. Your best bet for all your questions is to drive one, take some time, and make a decision. Maybe someone here will have one and give you a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for one later in the year (also going to consider an MX5).

You should fit, my experience is that width is more of an issue than height. They're very old fashioned to drive but that's half the fun really.

Rust is the most common issue and one you need to watch out for. Everything else can be easily sorted.

Incidentally if anyone near Nenagh has a B and would show me around one I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

A friend of mine has a pristine 1973 model with chrome bumpers that he hasn't used in a couple of years its indoor in a heated garage and he has mentioned a few times he is going to sell it .If either of you are interested pm me and I will give you his number

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

A friend of mine has a pristine 1973 model with chrome bumpers that he hasn't used in a couple of years its indoor in a heated garage and he has mentioned a few times he is going to sell it .If either of you are interested pm me and I will give you his number

I'm not until later in the year so I'll pass for now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭goochy

with it being chrome bumper imagine its out of my price range , only looking to spend 2-3 k which is plenty for average condition rubber bumper mdl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I have checked with him what kind of money he wants for it, asking 3250E

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

got a 78 model a few years back. Sent it to our sprayer and he said it was rotten with rust and to dangerous to bother restoring so we scraped it. Got our money back on selling on the parts so it was not an expensive lesson. Have a good look for any rust issues on these cars if buying...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mb123

Pm sent about mgb

Advertisement