Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get rid of Hangouts which keeps crashing?

Options
  • 22-07-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭

I see frequent messages on my screen saying Hangouts has crashed. I don't use it and want to get rid of it but I can't see it in my list of installed apps - with or without a prefix 'Google'. Running 5.1 on Moto G 4G

I have a vague notion of what it's for but I don't use it so as far as I'm concerned it's chugging away in the background wasting battery, does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

coylemj wrote: »
    I see frequent messages on my screen saying Hangouts has crashed. I don't use it and want to get rid of it but I can't see it in my list of installed apps - with or without a prefix 'Google'. Running 5.1 on Moto G 4G

I have a vague notion of what it's for but I don't use it so as far as I'm concerned it's chugging away in the background wasting battery, does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Hi....this was/is probably a system integrated app on your Moto G.

It really is an integrated Google replacement for Google Talk, and G+ Messenger, and can be used as your default SMS Text messaging App, replacing your default Android Messaging App.

You can remove updates, or disable it, in the App Info part of Settings.

On Android 4.2 or below, it can be removed/uninstalled.

If you are rooted, you can remove it if you wish, but you don't seem to see it listed??

This is what Google say:

You probably still have the Google Talk app installed.
    Go to My Apps in the Play Store...

Under Installed, locate Hangouts and select it, this opens the App Details page

Press the menu button and untick the Auto-update checkbox

You can't completely disable updates for Hangouts/Talk if you still want to use Google Talk.

If you don't want to use Hangouts/Google Talk at all, you can disable the app and it will no longer ask for updates in the Play Store.

You can find the instructions to disable apps here:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3123922?hl=en

When your at 'Apps', don't look for Hangouts but look for Google Talk.

This is the info at that link:
    Disable & enable Google Play system apps

On devices running Android 4.0 and higher, you can disable pre-installed Google Play system apps through your device Settings.

After a system app has been disabled, it will be hidden on your device.

Please note that disabling a built-in app may cause other apps to misbehave and will delete your associated data for that app.

Disable pre-installed system apps
    1. Go to your device's Settings menu.
    2. Select Apps.
    3. Touch the system app you’d like to disable.
    4. Select Disable.

Re-enable pre-installed system apps

If you’ve disabled an app and would like to enable it, you can find and re-enable the app using the following steps:
    1. Go to Settings on your device.
    2. Swipe to view the list of All apps.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the list to view disabled system apps.
    4. Touch the system app from the list that you’d like to enable.
    5. Select Enable.

Once a system app has been re-enabled, it can be viewed and opened from your main apps screen.

Rooting would really allow you to solve your problems for good though!!

Advertisement